Welcome to our Consumer Protection Division, Indiana's one-stop resource for consumer information and education.
The Indiana Attorney General's Office is dedicated to protecting consumers from deceptive and predatory business practices. It is also committed to educating consumers to make wise choices when buying products or entering into contracts. The office administers a number of programs designed to help Indiana citizens become savvy consumers. By state law, the Attorney General’s Office cannot act as an individual's private attorney or provide legal advice to citizens. However, the Attorney General’s Consumer Protection Division mediates and investigates consumer complaints against businesses and other organizations and takes legal action on behalf of the state against individuals and companies that violate Indiana’s Deceptive Consumer Sales Act.
Here you can find the answers to questions on the minds of many Hoosier consumers just like you. Information on current topics such as identity theft, schemes and scams in the marketplace, rising fuel prices, prescription medication, and recalled products is just a click away.
Avoid Disaster Fraud
Click here for information on how to protect yourself.
Be Wary of COVID-19 Scams
In times of crisis, scams become more prevalent. Scammers and fraudsters often attempt to take advantage of vulnerable consumers during difficult moments.
The attorney general urges Hoosiers to remain vigilant during these hardships, and to follow these tips to avoid scams during the pandemic:
- Be on alert for communications with dangerous attachments or fraudulent links.
- Treat any emails or texts with subject lines or information about coronavirus with caution.
- Avoid clicking on links in unsolicited emails and be wary of email attachments.
- Always verify the email addresses of those who send you emails.
- Use trusted, legitimate government websites to obtain up-to-date information.
- Don’t reveal personal or financial information via email or text message.
- Verify the authenticity of a charity before donating money.