Consumer Protection Division
Freeze Identity Thieves
Before They Can Act
Do Not Call List
2017 Equifax Security Breach
Coronavirus Information for Consumers
Welcome to our Consumer Protection Division, Indiana's one-stop resource for consumer information and education.
Here you can find the answers to questions on the minds of many Hoosier consumers just like you. Information on current topics such as identity theft, schemes and scams in the marketplace, rising fuel prices, prescription medication and recalled products is just a click away.
Be wary of COVID-19 Scams
In times of crisis scams become more prevalent. Scammers and fraudsters often attempt to take advantage of vulnerable consumers during difficult moments.
The attorney general urges Hoosiers to remain vigilant during these hardships, and to follow these tips to avoid scams during the pandemic:
- Be on alert for communications with dangerous attachments or fraudulent links.
- Treat any emails or texts with subject lines or information about coronavirus with caution.
- Avoid clicking on links in unsolicited emails and be wary of email attachments.
- Always verify the email addresses of those who send you emails.
- Use trusted, legitimate government websites to obtain up-to-date information.
- Don’t reveal personal or financial information via email or text message.
- Verify the authenticity of a charity before donating money.