IC 20-24-2.2-1.2(b) provides that a governing body of a school corporation can register with the state board for charter authority within the attendance area of the corporation. A governing body wishing to register must submit to firstname.lastname@example.org, the following:
- A written notification of intent to serve as a charter authorizer in accordance with IC 20-24.
- An explanation of the governing body's strategic vision for chartering.
- An explanation of the governing body's budget and personnel capacity and commitment to execute the duties of quality charter authorizing in accordance with IC 20-24.
- An explanation of how the governing body will solicit charter school applicants in accordance with IC 20-24-3.
- A description or outline of the performance framework the governing body will use to guide the establishment of a charter contract and for the oversight and evaluation of charter schools, consistent with this article.
- A draft of the governing body's renewal, revocation, and nonrenewal processes, consistent with IC 20-24.
- A statement of assurance that the governing body commits to serving as a charter authorizer in fulfillment of the expectations, spirit, and intent of this article, and that the governing body will fully adopt standards of quality charter school authorizing in accordance with IC 20-24-2.2-1.5.
Within sixty (60) days of receipt of this information, the state board will register the governing body as a charter authorizer within the attendance area of the school corporation and shall provide the governing body a letter confirming the governing body's registration as a charter authorizer. A governing body may not engage in any charter authorizing functions without a current registration as a charter authorizer with the state board.