The Indiana Department of Transportation has concluded a study of transportation needs and potential improvements in the U.S. 231 corridor from I-70 to I-65. This segment of U.S. 231 is an important north-south route in west central Indiana that has been identified as a Statewide Mobility Corridor in INDOT's Long-Range Plan. Statewide mobility corridors are to be developed to link major population areas and ensure high levels of mobility. The objectives of this study were to assess the feasibility of a variety of alternative improvements along this 88 mile corridor that will result in improved safety and capacity of the roadway. Specifically, the study has:
- Established the need and purpose for improving the safety and capacity of the 88 mile U.S. 231 corridor.
- Developed and analyzed alternatives in accordance with FHWA's Indiana's Streamlined Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) Procedures.
- Made recommendations concerning the programming of projects along the U.S. 231 corridor relative to the INDOT 25 Year Long-Range Transportation Plan.
- Identified segments of independent utility along the corridor by relative priority and recommended the appropriate type of environmental study necessary to advance the proposed improvements.
Stephen C. Smith, Manager
INDOT is currently conducting an environmental impact study on the priority segment of U.S. 231 in Greencastle as recommended by the U.S. 231 Corridor Planning Study/Environmental Assessment.
The entire U.S. 231 Corridor Planning Study/Environmental Assessment series of reports, including the Existing Conditions Report, Identification of Purpose and Need and Preliminary Alternatives, Screening of Alternatives and the Final Report are available on a CD-ROM from the INDOT Long-Range Transportation Planning Section. To request a copy of this CD-ROM, please contact:
Long-Range Transportation Planning Section
INDOT Environment, Planning & Engineering Division
100 N. Senate Avenue, Room N901
Indianapolis, IN 46204
Final Report: U.S. 231 from I-70 to I-65 Environmental Assessment/Corridor Study (2.24 Mb)
- US 231 from I-70 to US 36
- US 231 at CR 800 S
- US 231 at US 40
- US 231 at US 36
- US 231 from US 36 to 1.0 miles south of SR 32
- US 231 at CR 300 S
- US 231 from 0.5 miles south of US 136 to US 136 (1.24 Mb)
- US 231 from US 136 to I-74 (1.24 Mb)
- US 231 from 1.0 miles south of SR 32 to I-74 (1.27 Mb)
- US 231 from I-74 to Tippecanoe CR 550 S
- US 231 from US 52 to I-65 (1.25 Mb)
E-mail Comments: Your input is extremely valuable to the U.S. 231 Planning Team. If you would like to send us your comments on the study, then please send them to firstname.lastname@example.org.