Rebuilding Six I-65 Bridges at I-465 South
Construction contractors completed a $19.6 million project to rebuild six bridges on Interstate 65 over I-465 and Lick Creek on the south side of Indianapolis.
Both I-465 ramps to I-65 North are open, and I-65 South is open to three lanes in its permanent configuration, as bridge construction at the south side interchange reaches substantial completion on schedule.
The I-465 East ramp to I-65 North was closed since construction started in March. The I-465 West ramp to I-65 North was closed in late August while crews rebuilt the I-65 North bridges over I-465 and Lick Creek.
Superior Construction rebuilt six bridges in less than nine months as part of a $19.6 million contract. Three lanes of I-65 North and two lanes of I-65 South were maintained throughout the project, with the exception of overnight lane closures. Traffic lane shifts, median crossovers and ramp closures were used to build the bridges in phases while maximizing safety and mobility.
Some remaining work items that are sensitive to weather and temperatures, such as painting the new bridge beams, will be finished in the spring with minimal impacts to traffic.
- I-65 Traffic Shifting to Phase 2 Over South Side I-465 Bridges
- Northbound I-65 ramp to westbound I-465 closes for 150 days starting May 31 for south side bridges project
- Southbound I-65 Ramp to Eastbound I-465 Closes April 10 for up to 150 days
- I-65 Traffic Shift Rescheduled to Thursday, March 16
- I-65 Bridge Construction Starts March 5 at I-465
- $19.6M Construction Project Starts March 6 Rebuilding Six Bridges on I-65 on Indianapolis' South Side
Subscribe to receive text and email alerts about INDOT projects at https://public.govdelivery.com/accounts/INDOT/subscriber/new.
Motorists can learn about highway work zones and other traffic alerts at indot.carsprogram.org, 1-800-261-ROAD (7623) or 511 from a mobile phone.
East Central District Customer Service
Indiana Department of Transportation
32 South Broadway
Greenfield, IN 46140