SR 38 Pavement Project in New Castle
Milestone Contractors closed State Road 38 in March to begin construction on a $5.3 million pavement replacement and rehabilitation project in New Castle between State Road 3 (Memorial Drive) and 31st Street.
Road closures will be phased to maximize local access only during construction and complete the project this year. A signed detour will direct through highway traffic south to I-70 via State Road 1 and State Road 109.
Click for Larger Image
Milestone Contractors plans to begin the second phase of construction on State Road 38 (Broad Street) in New Castle after Labor Day.
Weather permitting, Milestone plans to pave and stripe sections of Broad Street between 15th and 18th streets and between 25th and 31st streets before the Labor Day holiday weekend. This will allow for improved local access and access across Broad Street on these sections during the next phase of construction scheduled to begin after the holiday.
State Road 38 will remain closed to through traffic in New Castle between State Road 3 (Memorial Drive) and 31st Street. State highway traffic should follow the signed detour, which directs traffic south to Interstate 70. Access to residences and businesses will be maintained. Other local routes can provide access to local destinations.
Phase 2 East of 15th Street
Phase 2 east of 15th Street is scheduled to begin on or after Tuesday, Sept. 5 and will close road sections not completed and intersections not closed during Phase 1. Road sections and intersections closed during Phase 1 will be opened for local access during Phase 2.
- The intersection of State Road 103 (18th Street) to 25th Street will be closed. Access at 25th Street will be open. All other intersections between 18th and 25th streets will be closed.
- The Norfolk Southern railroad crossing between 15th and 16th streets is scheduled to close for replacement in mid-September.
- The intersection of 31st Street to Imperial Drive will be closed starting in October to replace a box culvert. Barricades at 31st Street will remain in place before culvert construction begins prevent through traffic from entering the work zone.
Phase 2 West of 15th Street
Most construction west of 12th Street is complete. Milestone plans to close Broad Street between 12th Street and 15th Street starting on or after Tuesday, Sept. 5.
Local access will remain available to all downtown destinations, and access across Broad Street will remain open at 12th Street and 15th Street. Barricades at State Road 3 (Memorial Drive) will remain in place through Phase 2 to prevent through traffic from entering the work zone.
About the Project
The $5.3 million project is improving two miles of State Road 38 through New Castle. Pavement east of 15th Street will be completely rebuilt. Pavement west of 15th Street will be rehabilitated. Work will also include replacing sections of curb and sidewalks, modernizing curb ramps at intersections, and improving storm water drainage structures within the project limits.
State Road 38 is expected to be fully open to traffic before the end of this year, and all work on the project is expected to be complete before summer of 2018.
- Subscribe to Gov Delivery to receive email and/or text alerts from INDOT
- Follow @INDOTEast on Twitter
- Like INDOT East Central on Facebook
East Central District Customer Service
Indiana Department of Transportation
32 South Broadway
Greenfield, IN 46140