I-65 North Emergency Bridge Closure
Specialized crews working for Walsh Construction Company were on site testing a solution for bridge pier settlement where I-65 northbound crosses Wildcat Creek between Indianapolis and Chicago. Structural engineers with INDOT reviewed preliminary designs and continued to review new information from engineering subcontractors. Geotechnical construction crews mobilized on site on Aug. 16, and installed a test micropile near the pier on Aug. 17. Micropiles have been used effectively to stabilize other bridge piers around the country. Structural engineers monitoring the I-65 northbound bridge over Wildcat Creek noticed a riverbank pier settling and tilting, and ordered the bridge closed in the interest of safety on Aug. 7, 2015. The bridge was repaired and opened to traffic on September 6, 2015.
- Geotechnical Experts on site Today Developing a Plan at Wildcat Creek Bridge (8/8/15)
- Engineers Re-Close I-65 North Bridge near Lafayette (8/7/15)
- I-65 Remains Closed Until Engineers Develop Repair Plans (8/7/15)
- Experts Identify Solution to I-65 North Bridge Closure (08/14/15)
- Crews Test I-65 Northbound Bridge Repairs (8/19/15)
- I-65 North Reopening from Lebanon to Lafayette (9/6/15)