Operation Indy Commute is an initiative by INDOT to strategically eliminate recurring commuting bottlenecks on I-69 in Marion and Hamilton counties between the I-465 interchange and 116th Street/S.R. 37 exits, and at the I-465/I-65 interchange on the south side of Indianapolis. The program is modeled after successful, quick-turnaround traffic flow improvements built in other states under the Federal Highway Administration’s Localized Bottleneck Reduction Program.
This page is specifically for the I-69 portion of Operation Indy Commute. To alleviate the existing bottleneck at the I-69 interchange at 116th Street/S.R. 37, the current design will be reconfigured.
Current Conditions at the I-69 Interchange at 116th Street/S.R. 37
Work on the northbound side of the interchange is expected to be complete in spring 2013. Southbound improvements are underway. The project is expected to be completed by the end of the year.
Two lanes of traffic will remain open during peak traffic hours throughout the northbound interchange improvements. During overnight hours (8 p.m. to 5 a.m.), both northbound and southbound I-69 may be restricted to one lane in each direction.
Contractors are removing the concrete center median to increase turn lane capacity on the 116th Street bridge, which will be restricted to one lane in each direction between 10 p.m. and 5 a.m.
Changes to the Northbound Section of the I-69 Interchange at 116th Street/S.R. 37
Configuration changes to northbound section of I-69/116th Street/State Road 37 interchange
- I-69 near the 116th Street/S.R. 37 interchange will be restriped to allow three lanes to exit and three lanes to continue north on I-69.
- For traffic exiting I-69, the three lanes will split so that two lanes of traffic will continue onto northbound S.R. 37 and two lanes of traffic will exit at 116th Street. A new flyover ramp will be built west of the existing flyover ramp that will carry two lanes of traffic to northbound SR 37.
- For traffic entering the interchange from 116th Street, there will be three collector/distributor lanes - two lanes for traffic exiting to northbound S.R. 37 and one lane for traffic entering northbound I-69. Also, the current entrance ramp from 116th Street to I-69 will be reconfigured so that it remains to the right, and traffic will enter I-69 north of the new northbound SR 37 overpass, rather than weaving across traffic exiting onto S.R. 37.
Restrictions on the Northbound Section of the I-69 Interchange at 116th Street/S.R. 37
Closures/restrictions for northbound section of I-69/116th Street/State Road 37 interchange (construction in 2012)
2013 Changes to the Southbound Section of the I-69 Interchange at 116th Street/S.R. 37
Configuration changes for southbound section of I-69/116th Street/State Road 37 interchange
- A new bridge for S.R. 37 southbound traffic entering I-69 will eliminate the existing weave across traffic exiting I-69 at 116th Street.
- The southbound I-69 exit ramp to 116th Street will travel under the new S.R. 37 overpass.
- For traffic entering the interchange from S.R. 37, the existing collector/distributor lanes will be reconfigured so that two lanes will exit to 116th Street and two lanes will continue south under the 116th Street bridge to I-69.
2013 Restrictions to the Southbound Section of the I-69 Interchange at 116th Street/S.R. 37
Closures/restrictions for southbound section of I-69/116th Street/State Road 37 interchange (construction in 2013)
- The ramp from southbound I-69 to 116th Street will be closed for 90 days (barring unforeseen circumstances). The official signed detour will direct motorists to use the I-69/96th Street interchange.
- Two lanes of traffic will remain open on I-69 during peak traffic hours throughout the southbound interchange improvements.
2013 Changes to Mainline I-69 Between I-465 and the 116th Street/S.R. 37 Interchange
Configuration changes for southbound section of I-69/116th Street/S.R 37 interchange
- The left inside shoulder of southbound I-69 will be rebuilt to create a new travel lane from 116th Street to the I-69/I-465 interchange.
- Auxiliary lanes built alongside the right through lane (northbound and southbound) will enter and exit I-69, connecting the 82nd, 96th and 116th Street interchanges.
2013 Restrictions on Mainline I-69
Configuration changes, closures/restrictions for mainline I-69 (construction in 2013)
- Three lanes in each direction will remain open during peak traffic hours on I-69 throughout the mainline improvements between I-465 and the 116th Street/S.R. 37 interchange.
Greenfield District Customer Service
Indiana Department of Transportation
32 South Broadway
Greenfield, IN 46140