INDOT monitors road conditions to provide with the most-up-to-date information regarding road traffic conditions, road restrictions and closures, and construction information. Commercial Motor Vehicle drivers should refer to INDOT bridge maps for information about specific bridge load restrictions across Indiana.
Road Restriction Information
Posted Bridge Maps
Please be sure to check the Road Restriction & Closures information, above, for the most recent information about bridge restrictions.
Bridge Map Instructions
This link opens INDOT’s digital Bridge Clearance Map. Clicking the link brings up a map with Indiana in the center, with dots of various colors representing the bridges on interstates, U.S. highways, and state routes. The functionality of the map is very similar to Google Maps: use the tool bar on the left to zoom in and out and to change the viewable area of the map. Dot colors correspond to a clearance range the bridge falls within; the legend is on the lower right side of the screen. You will need to read the WARNING and MAP INFORMATION and click the “Click to Continue” button at the bottom to start using the map.
- Zoom in to find the beginning of your planned route and the relevant bridges. Zoom in far enough to be able to see the individual dot representing each bridge.
- Click on the bridge’s dot to open a blue pop-up window that includes location information, direction of travel and the minimum clearance for those travel lanes. NOTE: Bridge clearances differ depending on direction of travel; please be sure to check the information corresponding to your direction of travel.
- Within the pop-up window is a link to the Structure Information Sheet for that bridge; clicking this link will open a PDF file with more detailed information about the bridge and clearances.
- If there are additional bridges at the intersection (multiple dots may be on top of each other), this is indicated at the top of the pop-up window with scroll arrows and a notation showing the number of records. Use the arrows to access the information on each bridge.
- Close the pop-up window by clicking the X in the top right corner.
- Repeat this process for all bridges on your planned route.
NOTE: This bridge clearance map only covers interstates, U.S. highways and state routes. If your route includes any city streets or county roads, you must obtain approval from the municipality before you can travel the route.
Questions? Email INBridgeshelp@indot.in.gov