Technical Guidance and Information
These IDEM documents and the federal resources at the bottom elaborate upon on underground storage tank (UST) regulations and related topics.
Ethanol Compatibility and Fuel Delivery
- The Ethanol Compatibility [PDF] guidance document addresses the compatibility of UST systems with gasoline that contains higher percentages of ethanol.
- The Fuel Delivery Prohibition (Red Tag) [PDF]memo announces the rule that allows IDEM to install red tags on noncompliant UST systems to disallow future fuel deliveries.
Data Quality Assurance
- The Quality Assurance Program Plan for the Investigation of UST Releases [PDF] provides guidance that will help to ensure the quality of data collected from UST releases.
- The Supplemental Guidance for Sampling Soil and Waste Samples for Volatile Organic Compounds [PDF] document guides readers on the collection and preservation of VOCs within soil and solid waste samples to be analyzed at a stationary, off-site laboratory.
- This IDEM letter announces Changes to the Leaking UST Site Characterization Process [PDF].
- The Leaking UST Tips for Savvy Business Owners [PDF] brochure highlights important details about leaking USTs.
Risk-Based Closure Guidance
- The Remediation Closure Guide [PDF] describes selected approaches to investigation and risk-based closure of contaminated or potentially contaminated sites.
- This update lists Potential Petroleum Contaminants [PDF] and provides background on the transition period for the Remediation Closure Guide.
- The Remediation Program Guide [PDF] outlines processes and regulatory requirements of the IDEM Office of Land Quality’s remediation programs.
- This memo provides Clarification Regarding the Remediation Program Guide Potential Petroleum Contaminants [PDF] in Section 3, Table 3.1.
- The Risk-Integrated System of Closure (RISC) Technical Guide [PDF] sets forth a default approach to site closure and a framework for nondefault options if the default approach is not used.
- The RISC User Guide [PDF] provides guidance in determining the cleanup levels necessary to control, minimize, or eliminate threats to human health and the environment.
Fact sheets on the IDEM Fact Sheets page provide concise summaries of these topics:
- Remediation and Response:
- Methyl Tertiary-Butyl Ether
- Selecting an Environmental Consultant or Contractor
- Underground Storage Tanks (UST) and Leaking Underground Storage Tanks (LUST)
- Citizen’s Guide to Underground Storage Tanks
- Financial Responsibility and Excess Liability Trust Fund
- New Owners and Operators of Underground Storage Tank Systems
Guidance on the IDEM Nonrule Policies page clarify the agency’s interpretation of environmental statutes and rules.
- Property Containing Contaminated Aquifers/Underground Storage Tanks (Waste-0038)
- Access to Third Party Property (Waste-0043)
- Drilling Procedures and Monitoring Well Construction Guidelines (Waste-0053)
- Monitored Natural Attenuation for Petroleum Contaminated Sites (Waste-0054)