Recyclers wishing to work with manufacturers as part of their collection and recycling network must register with Indiana E-Cycle.
The term recycler includes any recycling program (in Indiana or elsewhere) in which covered electronic devices (CEDs) are recycled from covered entities (households, small businesses, and public schools). Manufacturers receive incentives for utilizing recycling facilities located in Indiana (10% incentive) and for collecting CEDs in non-metropolitan counties in the Indiana (50% incentive).
Please review the Indiana E-Cycle Recycler Fact Sheet (available on the IDEM Fact Sheets page) for detailed information about the role of recyclers in Indiana E-Cycle.
Recyclers operate on a calendar year (January 1 - December 31) program year.
Recycler registrations are due annually by November 1.
Compliance with E-Waste Management Law
Recyclers must verify that they are in compliance with Indiana’s Electronic Waste Management Law (329 IAC 16). Compliance with the law includes registration as an electronic waste storage and processing facility or demonstration that the recycler is exempt from registration requirements.
Recycler annual reports are due by April 1 each year.
- Indiana E-Cycle Recycler Annual Report - State Form 54482 (available on the IDEM Forms page under Office of Program Support, in the Indiana E-Cycle section)
- Covered Electronic Device (CED): a computer, fax machine, DVD player (including gaming systems that can play DVDs), video cassette recorder, digital photo frame, digital media player, MP3 player, camcorder, camera, DVR, portable GPS navigation system, video display device, or peripheral (including keyboards, mice, external hard drives, and printers) that is sold to a covered entity by means of retailer, wholesale or electronic commerce. An all-in-one printer/scanner/copier or a projector can be considered a peripheral if the item is designed exclusively for external use with a computer.
- Covered Entity: a household, a public school, or a small business (a business that is independently owned and operated with no more than one hundred employees and average annual gross receipts of ten million dollars ($10,000,000) or less)
- Recycler: an individual or public or private entity that accepts CEDs from covered entities and collectors for the purpose of recycling.
- The term recycler can include those recyclers that accept CEDs for recycling as well as refurbishment and/or repair. However, the pounds of CEDs refurbished or repaired cannot be counted towards a manufacturer’s recycling goal and are not required to be reported in the recycler’s annual report.
- The term does not include a manufacturer that only accepts products for refurbishment or repair.
- Video Display Device (VDD): a television or computer monitor, including a laptop computer, netbook, notebook, tablet computer, or e-reader, that contains a cathode ray tube or flat panel screen with a screen size that is greater than four (4) inches measured diagonally and is marketed by a manufacturer for use by covered entities.