Integrated Water Monitoring and Assessment Report
Section 305(b) of the Clean Water Act (CWA) requires the Indiana Department of Environmental Management (IDEM) to assess and report on whether Indiana waters support the beneficial uses designated in Indiana’s water quality standards. IDEM’s CWA Section 305(b) assessments are made in accordance with IDEM’s Consolidated Assessment and Listing Methodology (CALM) by comparing existing and readily available water quality data to the applicable water quality criteria in the State’s water quality standards.
The large majority of the data IDEM uses in its 305(b) assessments are collected by IDEM staff using a rotating basin approach. IDEM has divided Indiana into nine major water management basins and monitors one major basin each year. IDEM staff assess the data collected in each basin the following year.
In addition to agency-collected data, IDEM solicits data through its External Data Framework from external organizations and agencies, including the United States Geological Survey, Indiana University’s School of Public and Environmental Affairs, and the Indiana State Department of Health. IDEM also solicits water quality data from other colleges, universities and local organizations, such as county health departments, watershed management groups and cities and towns.
IDEM’s water quality assessment results are reported to U.S. EPA every two years through the Indiana Integrated Water Monitoring and Assessment Report, which describes the condition of Indiana’s lakes, streams, ground water and its Lake Michigan shoreline.
Indiana’s 2016 Integrated Water Monitoring And Assessment Report
IDEM submitted its 2016 Integrated Report to U.S. EPA on April 1, 2016. The notice for the public comment period for the draft 2016 303(d) List of Impaired Waters was included with IDEM’s Integrated Report submittal and was published in the Indiana Register on April 6, 2016. IDEM will be accepting public comments on the draft 2016 303(d) list and the methodology used to develop it for a period of 90 days from April 6 to July 5, 2016. After the public comment period ends, IDEM will review and respond to the comments received. All public comments and IDEM’s responses will be submitted to U.S. EPA as an addendum to the 2016 Integrated Report and made available on this website. The links below contain all files included in IDEM’s April 1, 2016 Integrated Report submittal to U.S. EPA.
- IDEM’s 2016 Integrated Report Submittal Letter to U.S. EPA [PDF]
- Indiana’s 2016 Integrated Water Monitoring and Assessment Report to the U.S. EPA [PDF]
- Appendix A: Report Tables [PDF]
- Appendix B: Report Figures [PDF]
- Appendix C: Report Metadata and Definitions [PDF]
- Appendix D: Status of Category 4 Waters [PDF]
- Appendix E: IDEM’s Short Term Total Maximum Daily Load (TMDL) Development Schedule 2016-2018 [PDF]
- Appendix F: IDEM’s Long Term TMDL Development Schedule [PDF]
- Appendix G: IDEM’s 305(b)/303(d) Monitoring, Assessment, Reporting and Listing Schedule [PDF]
- Appendix H: Comprehensive Assessments of Designated Use Support [PDF]
- Appendix I: 2016 Consolidated List, Categories 1-5 [XLS]
- Appendix J: CWA Section 314 Assessments of Lake Trends and Trophic State [PDF]
- Appendix K: Indiana’s Hydrogeologic Settings and Ground Water Quality Summaries [PDF]
- Appendix L: Notice of Comment (NOC) Period for Indiana’s Draft 2016 303(d) List - NOC Narrative [PDF]
- NOC Attachment 1: Consolidated Assessment and Listing Methodology (CALM) [PDF]
- NOC Attachment 2: Draft Assessment Methodology for the Assessment of Waters Designated for Public Water Supply
- NOC Attachment 3: IDEM’s TMDL Program Priority Framework and Development Schedule [PDF]
- NOC Attachments 4-7, Listing Tables [XLS]
- 303(d) Attachment 4: Impairments Added to Category 4A Based on TMDL Development [PDF]
- 303(d) Attachment 5: Impairments Removed from Category 5 Based on Water Quality Improvements [PDF]
- 303(d) Attachment 6: Impairments Added to Category 5 [PDF]
- 303(d) Attachment 7: Category 5 Waters – Indiana’s Draft 303(d) List of Impaired Waters [PDF]
Indiana’s Integrated Water Monitoring and Assessment Reports for Previous Cycles
- Indiana’s 2014 Integrated Water Monitoring and Assessment Report
- Indiana’s 2012 Integrated Water Monitoring and Assessment Report
Indiana’s 2010 Integrated Water Monitoring and Assessment Report and earlier versions are available upon request by contacting IDEM’s Integrated Report Coordinator.