Drinking Water Compliance Section
- Phone: (317) 234-7430
- Fax: (317) 234-7436
- E-mail: DWBMGR@idem.in.gov
The Drinking Water Branch has two compliance sections that are in charge of implementing the Safe Drinking Water Act (SDWA) rules and regulations applicable to approximately 4,043 active Public Water Systems (PWS). The Revised Total Coliform Rule (RTCR) & Compliance Support Section is responsible for implementing the Revised Total Coliform Rule and also maintaining inventory information. The Chemical & Surface Water Compliance Section is responsible for implementing the SDWA regulations in regards to Chemical rules and the Surface Water Treatment Rule. Staff utilize the Safe Drinking Water Information System (SDWIS)/State database to update, manage, and evaluate the rules and regulations in order to determine compliance with a system’s monitoring and reporting requirements. Reviewers provide guidance to ensure systems are in compliance. Systems that do not comply are referred to the Enforcement Section for formal enforcement action. The Total Coliform and Compliance Support section also offers the Small Systems Laboratory Assistance Program (SSLAP) [PDF]to provide free laboratory analysis of Total Coliform and Nitrate for Government and Nonprofit Public Water Systems that serve a population of 100 or less.The results are used to determine compliance.
Starting April 1, 2016, the Revised Total Coliform Rule (RTCR) went into effect for all Public Water Systems in the state.
Other Drinking Water Rules you should know about:
Drinking Water Information Concerning Lead
- Consumer Notice of Lead Result in Drinking Water (available on the IDEM Forms page)
- Suggested Directions for Homeowner Tap Sample Collection Procedures [PDF]
- Service Line Inventory Questionnaire [DOC]
- Lead & Copper Sample Site Collection Criteria for Community Water Systems [DOC] [XLS]
- Drinking Water and Lead
Drinking Water Information
Do you want to see Drinking Water Test Results and/or Monitoring Requirements for your Public Water System (PWS)? Drinking Water Test Results and Sample Schedules can be viewed online.
- Certified Drinking Water Laboratories
- Drinking Water Regulations [PDF]
- Generate Report to Review Consumer Confidence Report (CCR) Data
- Maximum Contaminant Levels for Drinking Water
- Small Systems Laboratory Assistance Program [PDF]
- Transient Public Water Supply Booklet [PDF]
- Drinking Water Sampling Requirements for Transient Non-Community Water Systems [PDF]
Drinking Water Fact Sheets
The following Drinking Water fact sheets are available on the IDEM Fact Sheets page:
- Are You A Public Water System?
- Chemical Contaminant Monitoring IOCs, SOCs, & VOCs
- Community Water Systems Total Coliform Rule
- Consumer Confidence Reports
- Disinfection Byproducts in Drinking Water
- Lead and Copper Rule
- Nitrate in Public Drinking Water
- Total Coliform and Nitrate Monitoring Requirements for Transient Noncommunity Water Systems
Drinking Water Reporting Forms
The following Public Water Supply reporting forms are available on the IDEM Forms page:
- Application for Construction Permit For Public Water System - 35058
- CCR Electronic Delivery Certification - Drinking Water - 55623
- CCR Certification in Drinking Water - 54187
- Chlorine and Chloramines Residual Reporting (DS) - 53296
- Chlorine and Chloramines Residual Reporting (POE) – 53295
- Consumer Notice of Lead Result in Drinking Water - 55275
- Electronic Sample Entry (eSE) Subscriber Agreement - 55656
- Filter Backwash Recycling Rule (FBRR) Recordkeeping - 54186
- IE/LT1 SWTR Combined Filter Effluent Turbidity - 53294
- Inorganic Chemicals (IOC's) IN Drinking Water - 53285
- Lead & Copper (PBCU) In Drinking Water Reporting - 53289
- Monthly Bromate Reporting - 53290
- Monthly Chlorine Dioxide Monitoring - 53282
- Monthly Chlorite Monitoring - 53283
- Monthly Individual Filter Effluent (IFE) Turbidity Monitoring - 53293
- Monthly Report of Operation of Water Treatment Plant - 34609
- Monthly Total Organic Carbon Removal Reporting - 53284
- New System Questionnaire - 46977
- New Well Site Application - 50896
- Nitrate & Nitrite In Drinking Water - 53281
- Notice of Intent to Construct a Water Main Extension - 49008
- Stage 2 Disinfectants and Disinfection Byproducts Rule Reporting - 54923
- Stage 2 Operational Evaluation - Distribution System - 55261
- Stage 2 Operational Evaluation - Source Water - 55263
- Stage 2 Operational Evaluation - Summary - 55260
- Stage 2 Operational Evaluation - Treatment Process - 55262
- Synthetic Organic Compounds (SOC's) In Drinking Water - 53287
- Total Coliform / Groundwater Rule Reporting - 53297
- Trihalomethanes (TTHM) And Haloacetic Acids (HAA5) Analyses In Drinking Water - 53288
- Volatile Organic Compounds (VOC's) In Drinking Water - 53286
- Water Quality Parameters And Source Water Reporting - 53292
Electronic Sample Entry (eSE)
- What is the electronic Sample Entry (eSE) application?
- The eSE application can be used by laboratories that process drinking water sampling results that would like to report the sampling results electronically using IDEM’s eSE application. Submission of drinking water sampling results electronically is an alternative to using paper forms to fulfill reporting requirements.
- ESE is Live!
- As of October 1st, 2015, certified Laboratories are able to submit and report drinking water sampling results electronically.
- Are you a certified Laboratory that would like to use the eSE application?
- If you are interested in using the eSE application, you will first need to submit the eSE subscriber agreement form to IDEM. The eSE Subscriber Agreement Form is available on the IDEM Forms page.
Annual Compliance Reports
- 2016 Annual Compliance Report [PDF]
- 2015 Annual Compliance Report [PDF]
- 2014 Annual Compliance Report [PDF]
- 2013 Annual Compliance Report [PDF]
- 2012 Annual Compliance Report [PDF]
- 2011 Annual Compliance Report [PDF]
- 2010 Annual Compliance Report [PDF]
- 2009 Annual Compliance Report [PDF]
- 2008 Annual Compliance Report [PDF]
- 2007 Annual Compliance Report [PDF]