Site Characterization and Sampling Guidance
Site Characterization Guidance
These brief technical guidance documents explain how to better organize an investigation, investigate in specific geologic environments, and investigate specific types of sources. They contain data compiled from government, academic, and industry sources.
- Conceptual Site Model [PDF]:
- This document explains the steps and concepts used to successfully investigate, clean up, and/or manage contaminated soil and ground water.
- Investigation of Manmade Preferential Pathways [PDF]:
- This document describes ways to identify and investigate manmade conduits that influence ground water flow and contamination.
- Proper Investigative Techniques in Karst [PDF]:
- This document describes ways to investigate contamination when it is released into limestone caves and karst.
- Proper Investigative Techniques for Fractured and Shallow, Non-Karst Bedrock [PDF]:
- This document describes ways to investigate contamination when bedrock is near the surface.
- Aquitard Characterization [PDF]:
- This document describes ways to determine how fine-grained material reacts to contamination and affects ground water flow.
- Investigative Strategies for Dry Cleaner Sites [PDF]:
- This document explains the source locations and type of contaminants specifically found at drycleaners.
- Vapor Intrusion Investigation Documentation [PDF]
- This document provides a template for recording information about vapor intrusion investigations.
These brief technical guidance documents explain field methods for sampling.
- Sampling Soil and Waste for Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) [PDF]:
- This document covers how to sample VOCs in soil using U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (U.S. EPA) Method 5035A.
- Sampling and Analysis of Ground Water for Metals at Remediation Sites:
- This IDEM nonrule policy explains how and when to sample for metals.
- Polyethylene Diffusion Bag Samplers [PDF]:
- This document explains the method of using a diffusion bag to sample well water.
- Groundwater Sampling with Peristaltic Pumps [PDF]:
- This document explains the use of a peristaltic pump to collect groundwater samples.
These technical guidance documents explain the proper sampling parameters and documentation requirements for various types of remediation sites. They also list the specific chemicals found, and testing methods needed, for various types of cleanup sites. IDEM uses U.S. EPA guidance for reference.
- Auto Salvage Yard Contaminants of Concern [PDF]
- Manufactured Gas Plants' Contaminants of Concern [PDF]
- E-85 Fuel Contaminants of Concern [PDF]
- Metal Finishing Industries Contaminants of Concern [PDF]
- Dry Cleaning Industry's Contaminants of Concern [PDF]
Vapor Intrusion Guidance
These documents explain various U.S. EPA methods for sampling contaminated air for volatile organic compounds (VOCs).
- Method TO-14A [PDF]:
- This document describes a procedure for sampling and analysis of VOCs in ambient air using specially prepared canisters with subsequent analysis by gas chromatography.
- Method TO-15 [PDF]:
- This document describes sampling and analytical procedures for the determination of VOCs (listed in Title III of the Clean Air Act Amendments of 1990) in ambient air using specially prepared canisters with subsequent analysis by gas chromatography/mass spectrometry.
- Method TO-17 [PDF]:
- This document describes a method for the determination of VOCs in ambient air using active sampling onto sorbent tubes.