Technical Guidance for Cleanups
Remediation Closure Guide
House Enrolled Act 1162 (now referenced as Public Law 78-2009 [PDF]) significantly changed allowable approaches to closure of contaminated sites. Those changes are reflected in the Remediation Closure Guide [PDF], which describes selected approaches to investigation and risk-based closure of contaminated or potentially contaminated sites. The guide’s purpose is to provide for consistent application of Indiana Code (IC) 13-12-3-2 and IC 13-25-5-8.5, which form the statutory basis for risk-based cleanup in Indiana.
Screening Level Tables
Screening levels are concentrations of chemicals in soil, ground water, or air that the Office of Land Quality has determined are acceptable under specific conditions. Current and previous screening level tables are available for download in PDF or XLS format.
Remediation Program Guide
The Remediation Program Guide [PDF] is a companion manual to the Remediation Closure Guide [PDF]. While the Remediation Closure Guide sets forth policies and procedures that are applicable to all remediation programs, the Remediation Program Guide outlines the different processes and regulatory requirements for each program specifically.
Three categories of guidance documents provide some of the best ways to investigate and clean up contamination in soil and ground water. They differ from the Remediation Closure Guide in that they do not include rules or requirements.
- Site Characterization and Sampling Guidance:
- These documents explain how and where to investigate chemicals in soil and ground water. They also show what kind of contamination might be found and where it might go.
- Risk Evaluation:
- These documents define what amount of a chemical will require more investigation. They also show how to determine whether the contamination is a hazard.
- Remedy Selection and Implementation:
- These documents explain how to choose the best cleanup plan for the site. They also show how to maintain the site during long-term monitoring and restricted closures.
Technical Review Panel
IDEM has developed a pilot mechanism for handling technical disagreements between OLQ staff and external entities regarding the State Cleanup Program and the Voluntary Remediation Program. The Technical Review Panel page provides more details.