Note: This message is displayed if (1) your browser is not standards-compliant or (2) you have you disabled CSS. Read our Policies for more information.
Thoroughbred Rule 71 IAC 5.5-3-1 reads in part –
(h) Beginning in 2014, trainers must demonstrate, prior to licensure, that they have attended a three (3) hour continuing education course approved by the commission within the past two (2) calendar years. Trainers completing an approved continuing education course in 2011 or 2012 will have met this requirement through the 2014 racing season. The continuing education requirement does not apply to trainers who have started horses six (6) or fewer times in Indiana the previous year. Such trainers may start up to six (6) horses in a year before he or she must fulfill the continuing education requirement. The following qualifications will exempt a trainer from being required to complete the continuing education requirement:
(1) member of the Official National Thoroughbred Racing Hall of Fame of the American Quarter Horse Hall of Fame;
(2) recipient of an Eclipse Award for Trainer of the Year;
(3) trainer of a horse at the time the horse earned an Eclipse Award for Horse of the Year;
(4) trainer of a horse at the time the horse won a Triple Crown race; or
(5) trainer of a horse at the time the horse won a Breeders' Cup World Thoroughbred Championship race.
Please click here for a list of trainers that have completed the continuing education trainer requirement for 2013 & 2014.
Upcoming Trainer Seminar
Dates and Details:
*At the April 5, 2013 Commission Meeting, the Indiana Horse Racing Commission voted to waive the Trainer Continuing Education (CE) Certification licensing requirement for the time being. Our office will be in contact with licensed trainers prior to its reimplementation via email or US Mail.