Note: This message is displayed if (1) your browser is not standards-compliant or (2) you have you disabled CSS. Read our Policies for more information.
The ELAC was established in 2013 by the Indiana General Assembly (IC 12-17.2-3.7). Committee membership is appointed by the governor and includes representation from the Office of Early Childhood and Out of School Learning (formerly The Bureau of Child Care), the Department of Education, Head Start, an early childhood education program, Cummins, Eli Lilly, and the Welborn Baptist Foundation. The committee's responsibilities include:
- Conducting periodic statewide needs assessments concerning the quality and availability of early education programs for children from birth to the age of school entry, including the availability of high quality prekindergarten education for low income children in Indiana
- Identifying opportunities for and barriers to collaboration and coordination among federally and state funded child development, child care, and early childhood education programs and services, including governmental agencies that administer the programs and services
- Assessing the capacity and effectiveness of two and four year public and private higher education institutions in Indiana for the support and development of early educators including professional development and career advancement plans and practice or internships with or prekindergarten programs
- Recommending to the Division procedures, policies, and eligibility criteria for the Early Education Matching Grant program
- Other duties as determined necessary by the chairperson of the committee
The ELAC must make annual recommendations to the governor and legislative council concerning the results of the committee's work.
See the ELAC Overview for the Vision, Goals, and Objectives.
Appointed ELAC Members
Kevin Bain, Welborn Baptist Foundation (ELAC chairman) - returning for 2nd term
Christopher Stokes, Eli Lilly - newly appointed
Melanie Brizzi, Indiana FSSA, Office of Early Childhood and Out of School Learning - returning for 2nd term
Charlie Geier, Indiana Department of Education - returning for 2nd term
Robin Atkins, Office of the Head Start Collaboration Director - newly appointed
Connie Sherman, St. Mary's Child Center (ELAC special advisor) - returning for 2nd term
M. Cindy Frey, Columbus Area Chamber of Commerce (ELAC special advisor) - newly appointed
- The next ELAC meeting is scheduled for Friday, February 12, 2016 from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. in the Indiana Government Center South, Conference Room 1. To watch the meeting via livestream, please visit http://webinar.isl.IN.gov/elac.Please note that all ELAC meetings are open to the public. Those who wish to engage with the ELAC must attend the meeting in person.
January 14, 2016 Meeting Agenda (not yet available)
ELAC will accomplish its objectives through seven workgroups that have been formed, representing over 120 community stakeholders from early childhood programs, higher education institutions, community partners, funders, and government. The seven workgroups are:
Evaluation of Child and Parent Outcomes
Child Development and Well Being
Workforce and Professional Development
Each workgroup has 1 to 2 primary responsibilities to address the needs identified and develop recommendations that will be presented to ELAC and the Governor and Legislative Council for action.
The Indiana Happy Babies Brain Trust workgroup was formed in 2014 with the generous support of the W.K. Kellogg Foundation and Zero to Three to raise awareness of infants and toddlers in Indiana. The Infant Toddler Issue Brief was released in November 2015. To read a copy, please click here.
Family Engagement Toolkit
Needs Assessment on ECE Workforce
ELAC Funding Summary
Overview of Kindergarten Readiness Assessment
ELAC Report and Appendices
Family Engagement Framework
Approved Definition of Kindergarten Readiness
Glossary on Early Learning in Indiana