- No notices at this time.
Effective July 1, 2017. Children under 18 will now be required to wear helmets in side-by-side ORVs and UTVs. This is a new law and a change to the previous operation of the property. Redbird SRA does not have helmets for sale or loan, so please plan accordingly for minors.
Hours of Operation
Entrance Type Fee Comment Motorized (Off-Road) Trail Use Daily ORV Trail Use $15 Per ORV; includes entrance to property (beginning March 1, 2017) Annual ORV Trail Use Permit $75 Per ORV; unlimited trail use Out-of-State ORV Trail Use Permit $20 Per ORV; for non-registered out-of-state ORVs only Non-Motorized In-State Daily $7 Per vehicle Out-of-State Daily $9 Per vehicle Entering as pedestrian, bicycle or horseback $2 Per person Daily Horse Permit $5 Per horse, required Annual Horse Tag $20 Per horse, required Annual (Park) Entrance Permit $50 Per vehicle; accepted at Interlake & Redbird SRAs Non-Resident Annual Permit $70 Per vehicle Golden Hoosier Permit $25 Persons at least 65 years or resident eligible for Social Security disability payments under 42 U.S. C. 401 (proof of eligibility must be presented at time of purchase and disabled individual must be present in the vehicle at time of use). Indiana residents who qualify for a DAV1 or DAV2 license plate regardless of age, and who present a completed form 32584 (Certificate of Eligibility for Veteran License Plates) at time of purchase.
NOTE: Visitors with multiple ORVs may use a combination of an annual motorized trail use permit(s) and payment. For example, a group of four ORVs could present one annual permit and pay $45 for the remaining ORVs. Fees are subject to change.
All Indiana off-road vehicles (ORVs) must be registered or street legal (licensed). How to register your ORV. Out-of-state ORVs may purchase an annual out-of-state trail use permit at the property gate which allows use of Interlake and Redbird trails (driving on county roads is not permitted).
Named after the Redbird Coal Mine, the property is approximately 1,400 acres of former surface and underground coal mine land. Its unique history has given us both treasures and challenges. Miles of trails for all skill levels bring ORV enthusiasts to the property and reward them with rich and diverse experiences. Gentle slopes to the technically difficult, can be found at Redbird. The mining operations also left us with a property that has required extensive reclamation efforts that continue today, and will continue into the future. Several acres within Redbird are highly sensitive and require visitors to be ever respectful and aware of the land. Fortunately, these challenges heighten our awareness of the need for trails that thrill our visitors and give us the opportunity to provide diverse recreation opportunities.
In addition to the miles of off-road vehicle trails, there are easily accessed quality fishing lakes, hiking is allowed over most of the property, mushrooming is a favorite activity, and mountain bikes are welcome. As reclamation projects are completed more areas will be opened and non-motorized trails will be built. Plans for the future include picnic areas, accessible walking and biking trails, and interpretive areas that tell about the coal mining operations and subsequent reclamation.
Whether you are wandering through thick wooded acres or traversing challenging hills and ravines you’ll be tired and satisfied by the end of the day.
For more information about Indiana’s Off-Roading opportunities visit Interlake State Recreation Area.
ORV Special Events2017 Special Events at Redbird SRA
- Aug. 19: Hi-Lift Trail Day
- Oct. 21-22: Hall-O-Wheelin’ and Night Ride; Night Ride, $25
- TBA: Main Event hosting Toys for Tots
2017 Special Events at Interlake SRA
- Aug. 6: IN IL KY Enduro Riders Grand Prix
- Sept. 24: IN IL KY Enduro Riders Grand Prix
- Nov. 4: Evansville Area Jeepers hosting Toys for Tots fund raiser
If you are interested in having a special event at Redbird, contact Carman Jackson.
- Property Rules
- All vehicles must be registered or licensed (street legal) according to Indiana law. Please make certain you are complying with Indiana’s legal definition of ORV registration.
- Non-registered out-of-state ORVs may purchase an annual Out-of-State Trail Use permit. This allows the ORV to be used on the Interlake and Redbird trails; but, not on county roads.
- Everyone who enters the Redbird State Recreation Area must pay at gatehouse.
- No alcoholic beverages are allowed on the property. All vehicles are subject to search.
- Visitors must comply with all DNR property rules and Indiana off-road vehicle laws.
- The operator of a vehicle, SUV (Sport Utility Vehicle)*, or vehicle other than a dirt bike, all terrain vehicle (ATV), or utility vehicle (UTV), must be at least sixteen (16) years old and possess a valid driver’s license.
- The operator of a dirt bike, ATV or UTV under the age of 16 must be directly supervised at all times by a parent or legal guardian.
- DOT- approved safety helmets are required at all times except in vehicles with fully enclosed metal cab or roll bar protection. Helmets must be worn while vehicles are in operation.
- Effective July 1, 2017. Children under 18 must now wear helmets in side-by-side ORVs and UTVs. (HEA 1200)
- Seatbelts are required to be used by all vehicle operators and occupants, except ATV and dirt bike, and overhead/roll bar protection is required for all occupants in the vehicle, SUV.*
- Passengers are not allowed on ATV's or dirt bikes, except those designed by the manufacturer for two up riding
- All off-road vehicles must have functioning spark arrestors and mufflers. No tire chains or studded tires.
- Vehicles may only be operated in designated areas and must stay on marked trails.
- Entry onto property is authorized only during posted hours of operation. The valid daily receipt must be in the vehicle operator’s possession at all times.
*SUV indicates a Jeep, pick-up, Hummer, dune buggy and other licensed or street legal vehicles. Violations of these rules will be cause for law enforcement action and may include ejection from the property in addition to any associated fines or penalties.