The Coastal Advisory Board provides a public forum for diverse stakeholders to assist with the implementation of the Lake Michigan Coastal Program.
Voting members of the Coastal Advisory Board are selected by the director of the Department of Natural Resources (DNR). Nominations will be solicited every two years for board positions, and every year for “rotating” positions – Local Economic Development, and Citizen at Large. Non-voting members will be selected by the designated agency.
Members of the Coastal Advisory Board shall:
- Consider regional issues affecting Lake Michigan coastal resources and reflect a balance between preservation, protection, restoration, and when possible, development for this and succeeding generations;
- Make recommendations to the DNR director on priorities and guidance for the Coastal Grants Program with the assistance of the Lake Michigan Coastal Program and the general public; and
- Make recommendations to the DNR director on nominations for Coastal Areas of Significance.
Members serve two year appointments with the exception of those noted as “rotate” which are one year appointments. Vacancies in the membership are filled by the DNR director or the designated agency.
The Coastal Advisory Board elects a chairperson and vice chair from among its membership by a simple majority vote every year at the April meeting.
- Ensures the effective action of the Coastal Advisory Board;
- Develops agendas for meetings in concert with the DNR LMCP;
- Presides at board meetings;
- Recommends to the Board which, if any, committees are to be established. Seeks volunteers for committees and coordinates individual board member assignments. Makes sure each committee has a chairperson, and stays in touch with chairpersons to be sure that their work is carried out; identifies committee recommendations that should be presented to the full board;
- Determines whether special Board meetings are necessary and convenes the Board accordingly; and
- Ensures that board matters are handled properly, including preparation of pre-meeting materials, committee functioning, and coordination with DNR LMCP.
- Serves as the Chair, in the Chair’s absence;
- Assists the Chair in Board operation
Terms for the Chair and Vice Chair are one (1) year in duration. Members may serve in the position for a maximum of two (2) terms.
2017 – 2019 Board Members
Local Government and Citizens:
Lake County City or Town – Tim Kingsland, Hobart Sanitary/Storm Water District Coordinator (Vice Chair)
Porter County City or Town – Donna Norkus, Beverly Shores, Town Council President
LaPorte County City or Town – Amanda Glanz, Michigan City Forester
Citizen (Porter County) – Reggie Korthals, Butler Fairman & Seufert, Storm Water Specialist
Coastal Land Use:
Local Economic Development (Lake County) – Jack Eskin, Gary Redevelopment Commission, Deputy Director
Industry and Business – James Alexander, Nisource Corporate Services
Tourism - Christine Livingston, Porter County Convention Recreation Visitor Council
Local Planner (At Large) – Skyler York, Michigan City, Assistant Planner
Environmental Advocacy – Natalie Johnson, Save the Dunes
Local Parks and Recreation – Shannon Eason, Michigan City Parks Department
Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore – Lynda Lancaster, Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore
Local Natural Resource Management – Paul Labus, The Nature Conservancy
Historical/Cultural Resources - Tiffany Tolbert, Calumet Region – Historical Landmarks Foundation of Indiana
IN Dept of Environmental Management – Michael Spinar
NIRPC - Kathy Luther, Environmental Director (Chair)
US Fish and Wildlife Service - Elizabeth McCloskey
US EPA - Elizabeth Hinchey Malloy
Universities - Young Choi
Agriculture - Keith Gustafson, Gustafson Family Farm, Porter County SWCD
IL IN Sea Grant - Leslie Dorworth
US Army Corps - Erin Maloney, Planner/Engineer
Regional Development Authority – Jill Huber