Getting Started


  1. Obtain a DUNS number

    Before you can bid on government proposals you need to obtain a Dun & Bradstreet, or DUNS Number, a unique nine-digit identification number for each physical location of your business. (
  2. Find your NAICS codes and Product Service Codes

    The North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) classifies businesses based upon the industrial activities in which they are primarily engaged. The NAICS numbering system employs a six-digit code at the most detailed industry level. (
  3. Register with the System for Award Management (SAM)

    The System for Award Management is the primary supplier database for the U.S. Federal government, collecting, validating and storing data from suppliers and then making that data available to various government acquisition agencies. Your business must be registered in SAM to sell to the federal government. (
  4. Work with a local PTAC counselor

    The Indiana PTAC team is staffed with counselors experienced in government contracting and provides a wide range of support/assistance to Hoosier small business owners interested in pursuing contracting opportunities with the local, state and federal government. 
  5. Conduct Market Research

    Conduct market research to find out which government agencies buy what you sell. Search the following sites,, or to see what the government is buying now and what they’ve bought in the past. The PTAC also offers a free bid matching service which can match your search keywords to available opportunities and email you the results daily.
  6. Attend workshops and networking opportunities

    The Indiana PTAC offers a wide range of free training to help you with government contracting, such as “Introduction to Government Contracting, “Marketing to the Federal Government” and “GSA Schedules 101”, to name a few. For a full schedule of upcoming events please visit our Events and Workshops page.