Launched in 2011, the Stellar Communities Designation Program is a multi-agency partnership designed to recognize Indiana's smaller communities that have identified comprehensive community and economic development projects and activities as well as next steps and key partnerships.
Based on feedback from previous years, the designations are divided into two divisions:
- Division I are communities of a population of 6,000 or more
- Division II are communities with populations of fewer than 6,000
Eligible applicants must be a Local Unit of Government which includes a city or incorporated town not entitled to direct Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) funding through the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. Additionally, if an interested community is located within a Metropolitan Planning Organization’s area, they must follow a set of steps including letters of recommendation and financing requirements.
Funding for the Stellar Communities Designation Program comes from multiple existing federal programs. Both communities have proposed projects involving public and private dollars; although they have been designated as a Stellar Community, the projects are proposals and no specific funds are guaranteed. Both communities will meet with representatives from the state Stellar Team in the coming weeks to discuss details of the proposed projects including feasibility, available funding, timeframes and partner participation.
The finalist communities will also receive follow up visits as an opportunity to discuss details about their submitted SIPs and provide feedback on the process.
Originated by OCRA, IHCDA and INDOT, the state agency partners for the Stellar Communities Designation Program now include:
- Indiana Housing and Community Development Authority
- Indiana Office of Community and Rural Affairs
- Indiana Department of Transportation
- Indiana Office of Small Business & Entrepreneurship
- Indiana Office of Tourism Development
- Indiana State Department of Health - Division of Nutrition and Physical Activity
- Serve Indiana
- Department of Natural Resources
- Indiana Finance Authority
- Indiana Bond Bank
- Indiana Arts Commission
Questions about the Stellar Communities Program can be directed to email@example.com.
Click here for more information about the Stellar Communities Designation Program.