Learn What It Means to be a 21st Century Scholar
Indiana's 21st Century Scholars understand that they have to work hard to succeed in school and to stay on a path to complete college. In return for keeping a pledge to excellence in school and in life, the State of Indiana makes an investment in each Scholar's future by providing a generous college scholarship and free support services that help students plan, prepare and pay for education beyond high school.
Students are eligible to apply to the 21st Century Scholars program when they are in the 7th or 8th grade and if their families meet the income eligibility guidelines. Students must apply by June 30 of their 8th grade year.
Scholars can earn up to four years of college tuition at an eligible Indiana college by keeping the Scholar Pledge. When students enroll in the 7th or 8th grade, they pledge to:
- Graduate with an Indiana High School Diploma from a state-accredited high school.
- Participate in a Scholar Success Program that helps students plan, prepare and pay for college success.
- Achieve a cumulative high school GPA of at least 2.5 on a 4.0 scale.
- Not use illegal drugs or alcohol, or commit a crime or delinquent act.
- Apply for admission to an eligible Indiana college or university as a high school senior.
- Apply on time for student financial aid (by March 10th of the student’s senior year of high school).
Scholar Success Program
Scholars receive academic support every step of the way to help them graduate from high school and complete college. In high school, Scholars complete a Scholar Success Program with three required activities each year. These activities help Scholars learn about planning, preparing and paying for college so they are ready to succeed on a college campus.
Additionally, Scholars receive extra support from community partners and regional 21st Century Scholars staff members, in high school and in college, including free tutoring, a mentor and other services designed to help them complete their college degrees.
Please refer to our frequently asked questions, or contact us, if you have questions about the 21st Century Scholars Program. You can also find information about filing an appeal if your application has been denied, or you can check your eligibility status or update your information with our online system.