Info Agency Main Banner Content
All dealers are subject to the following licensure requirements:
- $25,000 bond, on State form 53966 (R5/6-15).
- Liability insurance in the following amounts:
- $100,000 for bodily injury to one (1) person.
- $300,000 for bodily injury per accident
- $50,000 for property damage
- National Criminal History Background Check no more than 60 days old for each dealer owner and dealer manager.
- Dealer manager: individual who works at the established place of business of a dealer and who is responsible for and is in charge of the day to day operations, including the management, direction, and control of the dealership.
- Dealer owner:
- For a licensed or applicant dealer, other than a manufacturer, that is a corporation, each officer, director, and shareholder having a ten percent (10%) or greater ownership interest in the corporation.
- If no officer, director, or shareholder has a ten percent (10%) or greater ownership interest in the corporation, one (1) or more officers, directors, or shareholders designated in writing by the board of directors.
- If the licensed or applicant dealer, other than a manufacturer, is a sole proprietorship, the proprietor.
- If the licensed or applicant dealer, other than a manufacturer, is a partnership, each partner.
- If the licensed or applicant dealer, other than a manufacturer, is a limited liability company, each member of the company.
- For a licensed or applicant manufacturer, one (1) or more officers, directors, or shareholders designated in writing by the manufacturer.
- An established place of business
- Premises owned or leased and continuously occupied by a dealer licensed or applying to be licensed for the primary purpose of the business activity for which the dealer is licensed or applying to be licensed
- Cannot be a residence, tent, temporary stand, or permanent quarters only temporarily being occupied
New and Used Dealers are subject to the following additional requirements regarding their established place of business:
- At least 1,300 square feet
- Able to accommodate the display of a minimum of 10 vehicles
- Well-lit during hours of operation
- Have and display customer parking areas adequately surfaced with asphalt, concrete, rock, or substance that will not change with weather conditions
- Have a dealer office that is:
- housed at the dealer's established place of business
- at least one hundred (100) square feet in size
- equipped with office furniture such as a desk, chairs, and filing cabinets
- reflective of functional use and operation of the license
- served with utilities such as:
- operational plumbing; and
- a business telephone
- Have a conspicuous, permanent sign identifying the dealer by the name in which the dealer is licensed and the dealership's hours of operation
- Be manned and open to the public at least 30 hours each week or at least 20 hours each week and a telephone answering, paging, or mobile service offered during the remaining 10 hours each week, the number for which is identified on the business sign
Watercraft Dealers are subject to the following additional requirements regarding their established place of business:
- Be able to display at least 10 watercraft
- Have a conspicuous and permanent sign identifying the dealer by the name in which the dealer is operating and setting forth the hours of operation of the dealership
If you need additional assistance, please download our Dealer Licensing Information brochure here.