Indiana State Police to Implement Silver Alert Plan
Indianapolis – During the regular 2009 Indiana legislative session Senate Bill 307 - commonly referred to as the Silver Alert Bill - was passed and will become effective July 1, 2009. This new law addresses concerns related to Missing Endangered Adults, as defined by Indiana Code 12-7-2-131.3 and a High Risk Person, as defined by Indiana Code 5-2-17-1.
Persons reported as missing that meet the requirements for a Silver Alert will be listed on the new Silver Alert web site located at http://www.silveralert.in.gov/
Indiana Silver Alert Criteria (Expanded criteria information is available at http://www.in.gov/silveralert/2331.htm)
- The person must be eighteen (18) years old or older.
- The person must be an endangered adult or a high risk missing person
- The request must be recommended by the law enforcement agency of jurisdiction
- Sufficient information is available for public dissemination that may assist locating the missing endangered adult
Criteria for Endangered Adult: (I.C. 12-7-2-131.3)
- Incapable of returning to their residence without assistance due to a mental illness, dementia, or other physical or mental incapacity.
Criteria for a High Risk Missing Person: (I.C. 5-2-17-1) (One or more of the below will qualify for a Silver Alert)
- A person who is missing as the result of abduction by a stranger.
- A person whose disappearance may be the result of the commission of a crime.
- A person whose disappearance occurred under a circumstance that is inherently dangerous.
- A person who is missing for more than 30 days.
- A missing person who is in need of medical attention or prescription medication.
- A missing person who may be at risk due to abduction by a noncustodial parent.
- A missing person who is mentally impaired.
- A missing person who is less than 21 years of age.
- A missing person who has previously been the victim of a threat of violence or an act of violence
- A missing person who has been determined by a police agency to be at risk of injury or death.
- A person who is an endangered adult.