Header

  Close Menu

Main Content

History

First Jail

1837-1850

The first DeKalb County Jail was authorized by the DeKalb County Commissioners on May 9, 1838, several years before a permanent courthouse was authorized. The Jail was to be built of logs. The jail was apparently located on the square but this cannot be confirmed.

Sheriffs

  • Wesley Park
  • Thomas J. Freeman
  • Jonathon Puffenbarger
  • S. W. Ralston

2nd Jail

1852-1875

The 2nd jail was contracted for 1851 and completed in 1852 on the southeast corner of the public square. It cost $1,000 and was an improvement over the log jail. In 1887 it was moved to the northeast corner of Cedar and Ninth Street and used for the Auburn Town Hall and Fire Barn.

Sheriffs

  • 1850-54 --- W. K. Straight
  • 1854-56 --- Isaac Brandt
  • 1856-60 --- S. W. Ralston
  • 1860-62 --- J. N. Chamberlain
  • 1862-68 --- J. N. Miller
  • 1868-72 --- H. Willis

3rd Jail

1875-1919

The 3rd jail was a handsome structure designed by T. J. Tolan & Son of Toledo and later of Fort Wayne. It was built by James R. Duncan, William Crane, and Harmon Lydecker of Waterloo at a total cost of $28,647. It was equipped with triple gates and the latest Scandinavian locks. The building was located on the southeast corner of the public square and remained there for several years after the present courthouse was built.

Sheriffs

  • 1872-76 --- W. L. Meese
  • 1876-78 --- John St. Clair
  • 1878-82 --- A. S. Lease
  • 1882-86 --- John W. Boyle
  • 1886-88 --- K. Garrison
  • 1888-90 --- J. Plum
  • 1890-92 --- Phillip Plum
  • 1892-94 --- George C. Ralston
  • 1894-98 --- Henry P. Stroh
  • 1898-1902 --- John Hathaway
  • 1902-04 --- George W. Bleeks
  • 1904-08 --- James W. Reed
  • 1908-12 --- R. L. Thomas
  • 1912-16 --- John P. Hoff (D)

4th Jail

1919-1985

The contract for the new jail was let May 28, 1917, to H. H. Ackemere of Auburn for $52,940. The final cost was $89,535. The jail was as modern as any jail in the county at the time. It was located on the public square at the southeast quadrant of Eighth and Ceder Streets. The jail was first occupied on January 15,1919 and has served the county well.

Sheriffs

  • 1916-20 --- Frank Baltz (D)
  • 1920-22 --- Twite L. Hoodelmier(R)
  • 1922-26 --- William G. Morr (D)
  • 1926-30 --- John C. Armstrong (D)
  • 1930-34 --- John P. Hoff (D)
  • 1934-38 --- Herbert N. Grimm (D)
  • 1938-42 --- Artus Coyle (R)
  • 1942-46 --- Paul F. Miller (R)
  • 1946-58 --- Frank E. Carpenter (R)
  • 1958-66 --- Dorsie A. Likens (R)
  • 1966-73 --- James D. Sims (R)
  • 1973-78 --- John L. Graham (R)
  • 1979-82 --- Larry E. Myers (R)
  • 1983-87 --- Larry Metcalf (R)

5th Jail

1985-Present

Construction started on the new DeKalb County Jail on April 23,1984, at the Cost of $2.86 million dollars. The facility contains 27,500 square feet. This facility has a Central Control room which has complete security control over the entire facility and also serves as as the Communications Center for the Sheriff's Department county-wide communications.

Sheriffs

  • 1987-1994 --- Donald Crowl (D)
  • 1995-2002 --- Jay A. Oberholtzer (R)
  • 2003-2010 --- John Dennis (R)
  • 2011-2018 ----Donald Lauer (R)
  • 2019-Present--David G. Cserep II (R)

 

Sheriff's Office Administration

Emergency Dial 911
Office (260) 925-3365 Ext 3

215 E 8th St
Auburn, IN 46706

County Jail

Office (260) 925-3365 Ext 2

215 E 8th St
Auburn, IN 46706

Communications

Emergency Dial 911
Office (260) 333-7911

Download our app today!

Search: DeKalb Sheriff IN

Phone App

google play button apple app store

News and FAQs

Top FAQs