Close Menu

PISG Frequently Asked Questions

Applicant Related

How do I apply for a Private Investigator Firm or Security Guard Agency license?
The completed application, fee, verification of experience, and all background checks are required in order for the application to be reviewed by the Board.  Insurance may be obtained after the application has been approved but a license will not be issued until proof of insurance is received.  Staff will review all applications for completeness but the Board determines whether or not an applicant is granted a license.

What are the licensing requirements?
The applicant must meet the minimum requirements of being at least twenty-one years of age and have at least two years (4,000 hours) of work experience in the field of investigations or security, as defined by 874 IAC 1-2-1 or 874 IAC 1-3-1; or a four year degree in criminal justice from an regionally accredited institution.  Please also see 862 IAC 1-1-3.  You may view application requirements for SG agencies or PI firms specifically or review statutes and rules.

Does Indiana license individual employees of a Private Investigator Firm or Security Guard Agency?
No, the State of Indiana only licenses businesses based on the qualifications of one individual (the qualifier).  Employees of a licensed Private Investigator Firm or Security Guard Agency are not licensed.  A licensee is civilly responsible for the good conduct of all employees while the employees are acting on behalf of the licensee.

Can I verify my own work experience to meet the 4,000 hour requirement?
No, someone other the applicant, who is familiar with the applicant's experience, must verify the work experience.

Once I complete my Indiana State Police background check through MorphoTrust will your agency receive an electronic copy to be included in my application?
No, the State Police report will be sent directly to the candidate. It is the applicants responsibility to submit the original report for inclusion in their application.

License Holder Related

What is the procedure for changing qualifiers of an existing Private Investigator Firm or Security Guard Agency?
application for a New Qualifier must be completed and submitted to the Board for review and approval.  The fee is the same as a new license.

What is the licensing fee?
The fee for issuance or renewal of a private investigator firm or security guard agency license is $300.00 (the issuance fee is $150.00 if the license will expire less than one year after issuance). A late fee of $50.00 is assessed if a renewal is not received by the expiration date of the license.

When does a license expire?
A license expires on October 1 every four years (2015, 2019, etc).

What are the requirements for an out-of-state company?
The minimum requirements are as follows:
1. Twenty-one years of age;
2. Two years (4,000 hours) work experience in the field of investigations or security, as defined by 874 IAC 1-2-1 or 874 IAC 1-3-1, or a 4 year degree in criminal law from a regionally accredited institution. 

Are there any regulations regarding the name of my Private Investigator Firm or Security Guard Agency?
When naming your new company we encourage you to choose a unique name. 872 IAC 1-1-2(b) of the Private Investigator and Security Guard rules & regulations does state that no name or advertisement should be construed to be connected with any local, state, or federal law enforcement agency. The Board does have the ability to request a name change before an application is approved. If you are currently licensed in another state using a name not acceptable for use in Indiana, please obtain a DBA (doing business as) registration from the Indiana Secretary of State.

Does holding a valid Private Investigator Firm or Security Guard Agency license authorize me to carry a handgun or weapon?
Nothing in the statutes and rules shall be construed to authorize any licensee, or employee of a licensee, to carry any weapon. All weapons related license questions should be directed to the Indiana State Police.

Does holding a valid Private Investigator Firm or Security Guard Agency license authorize me to arrest an individual?
A licensee, or employee of a licensee, has no arresting authority. Only a law enforcement officer/official may arrest an individual.

When does the board meet?
The board meets every other month.  Please note that this
schedule is subject to change.

What are the renewal requirements?
The qualifier of the Private Investigator Firm or Security Guard Agency is required to obtain a background check from each state in which the qualifier has resided during the previous four (4) years preceding the filing of application for renewal.  The renewal may only be completed via paper form mailed to the addres on the form because of the additional documents that are required to be sent in with the renewal form. The renewal form lists the additional information needed to be sent with it..

What type of insurance is required?
General liability insurance of at least one hundred thousand dollars ($100,000).  The policy must list the State of Indiana as an additional insured.  The address of the Board must also be included on the ACORD form (this is used to notify the Board if the policy is cancelled).  Failure to maintain insurance shall result in a suspended license (IC 25-30-1.3-16(3)(c).

Do advertisements need to contain the license number?
Yes, per IC 25-30-1.3-14, an advertisement by a licensee soliciting or advertising for business must contain the name and address of the licensee as it appears in the records of the board.  Per 874 IAC 1-1-2, advertising includes, but is not limited to:  business cards, identification cards, letterheads, invoices, business websites, other forms that may be used to advertise the licensee's business

Consumer Related

How do I file a complaint against a Private Investigator Firm or Security Guard Agency?
All consumer complaints are filed with the Office of the Attorney General.  Complaints can be filed

How do I file a complaint against an unlicensed business?
All unlicensed practice complaints are filed with the Office of the Attorney General.  Complaints can be