Close Menu

Teaching Permit


Application for a Teaching Permit

Application Instructions/Checklist - IMPORTANT!

We ask that you please allow up to two weeks from the submission of an application for review by our staff. You will be notified via mail or email if there are any missing documents or issues with your application. You may also check the status of your application by clicking hereIf you have not received a status update after two weeks, you may email us at pla3@pla.in.gov. 

General Questions about Licensure
How Long Does it Take to Get a License?
Questions about Criminal Convictions
Questions about Translations of Documents


General Questions about Licensure

Q. Who should apply for a teaching permit?
A.  A medical educational institution located in Indiana may apply for a teaching permit for a practitioner who is not licensed in Indiana, but is actively practicing medicine outside of Indiana or the United States, for the purpose of teaching in the institution. This permit authorizes a practitioner to practice in the institution only and, in the course of teaching, to practice those medical acts which are usually and customarily perfomred by a physician teaching in a medical institution.

Q. What are the costs related to licensure?
A. The fee for the application is $100.  All fees should be paid my cash, check or money order and submitted with your application.  Checks and money orders should be made payable to the Indiana Professional Licensing Agency.  We do not accept credit card payments. 

Q. How long is my license valid?
A. Upon issuance of your license, your license will remain valid through June 30. The permit may be renewed in one year increments, provided all eligiblity requirements continue to be met. 

Q. What if I move or change my name after I have submitted my application?
A. If you move, or have a change of contact information (ex. phone, email), you may send an email to the Board at pla3@pla.in.gov notifying us of the change.

If you change your name after you have submitted an application, or if your any documents you submit for your application have a different last name than your current last name, you must submit one of the following legal documents as proof of the name change:

  • Marriage Certificate
  • Dissolution of marriage (divorce)
  • Certified Court Order

Q. Will you discard or destroy and documentation received prior to my application?
A. Any documents received prior to your application will be maintained for six months. If you do not submit your application and fees in that time frame, the documents will be destroyed.

How Long Does it Take to Get a License?

Q. What are the time frames for getting licensed?
A. To be considered an applicant, you must submit both the application and the application fee. All application forms and supporting materials are stamped with the date they are received in the office.

Once an application and the application fee have been received, staff must complete the initial review.  Please allow up to two weeks, although this often occurs in less time. The applicant is then notified in writing of the application status and given an itemized list of documents needed to complete the file. It is the applicant's responsibility to ensure that any missing documents are sent to the Board. These subsequent documents also will be reviewed in order of receipt. The length of time it takes to obtain a license is related to how long it takes for all required documents to be recieved by the Board.

Once an application is complete, reviewed and approved, a license will be issued promptly. 

Q. Can I pay an extra fee to have my application expedited?
A. The Board reviews applications in the order in which they are received. You cannot pay a fee to expedite the review of your application. When deciding when to apply, please allow sufficient time for all your documents to be received and reviewed by the Board, particularly if you have a deadline for licensure.  If you have a deadline for licensure, it is best to apply at least 90 days in advance. 

Q. How will I know if there are missing documents or other issues with my application?
A. You will be notified if there are any missing documents or issues with your application once the application is reviewed. You may also check the status of your application by clicking here

Q. How long do I have to complete the application process?
A. You have one year from the date the application was received by the Board to complete your application. Applications incomplete after 1 year are considered "abandoned" and may be destroyed. If you wish to keep your application open, please notify the Board. The Board may grant extensions of up to 30 days a time.  The Board may abandon an application if the applicatn fails to show progress towards licensure.

If your previous application was abanonded, any subsequent application will be treated as a new application and you will be required to meet all licensure requirements in effect at the time of the subsequent application. You must also resubmit all required documents (including a new criminal background check) and pay the application fee.

Questions Regarding Criminal Convictions

Q. Must I disclose all criminal convictions, even minor offenses in college?
A. You must disclose the following, except for traffic violations resulting in fines, and arrests or convictions that have been expunged. NOTE - An arrest or conviction is expunged only if there is an Order of Expungement issued by a court.  Orders to seal records do not necessarily mean an arrest or conviction has been expunged. If in doubt, seek the assistance of private counsel.

  • All arrests (even if no conviction results)
  • All prosecutorial diversion or deferment agreements
  • All convictions (including misdemeanors)
  • All guilty pleas (including misdemeanors)
  • All nolo contendre pleas (including misdemeanors)

Q. What happens if I fail to disclose information on a criminal conviction?
A. As an applicant, you are personally responsible for all information disclosed on your application. An application may be denied based upon omission, falsification or misrepresentation of any item or response on the application or supporting documentation.

Q. What additional information should I provide if I have an arrest and/or conviction?
A. You must submit a notarized statement, completed by yourself, describing the nature of the offense for which you were arrested or convicted.  You will also need to provide a certified copy of all court documents pertaining to the arrest or conviction, including any statement of charges, probable cause affidavits, police reports, judgment and sentencing information.

Q. How might a criminal conviction affect my application for licensure?
A. The Board frequently receives questions about criminal convictions and how they could affect an application for licensure.

The Board is unable to provide legal advice to applicants. Every situation is unique and is addressed on an individual basis. The Board reviews each conviction based not only on the conviction itself, but also the underlying issues that led to the conviction.

A conviction that does not, at first glance, appear to be substantially related to the qualifications, functions or duties of a physician, may, under closer scrutiny, be revealed otherwise (ex. reckless driving, DUIs and sex crimes).  All information related to an applicant's criminal history is considered. The specific conviction; when it occurred; the circumstances surrounding the conviction; the number of convictions; compliance with the court's terms and conditions; and rehablitation are all factors considered.

The Board has three options relative to licensure: issue a license; deny a license; or issue a probationary license.

Questions about Translations of Documents

Q. Do I have to have my transcripts and diplomas translated if they aren't in English?
A. Transcripts, diplomas and any other academic documents prepared in a language other than English will need to be accompanied by a certified English translation.