Close Menu

Frequently Asked Questions

What is a notarized document?

  • A notarized document is a copy of an original document made and verified by a notary. The notary will copy the document, and must state that it is a “true copy of the original document.” They will sign this statement, as well as stamp the document with their seal. We will not accept copied documents that are not notarized correctly.

My notary states he/she cannot make the “true copy” statement, what should I do?

  • There are four states that do not allow a notary to make the required statement: Michigan, Illinois, California and New York.  If you are from one of these states you need to do the following:  The custodian makes a photocopy of the original document, makes a written statement about the trueness, correctness and completeness of the copy, signs the statement before a notary, is identified by the notary and takes an oath affirming the truth of the statement.  The notary, having witnessed the signing, identifies the signer either through personal knowledge or satisfactory evidence, and given the oath or affirmation, executes the notary statement.

Why must I provide my email address?

  • We require an email address as we send all correspondence regarding your license and application via email.  Please make sure you keep it current with us just as you would your mailing address.

I am out of state, how do I get my criminal back ground check?

  • There are lengthy instructions on how to proceed with the criminal back ground check on our website.  Go to http://www.in.gov/pla/3240.htm, scroll down, and click out of state instructions.

When can I get my criminal background check done?

  • You can only obtain your criminal background check once you have been notified that your application has been received by our office. If you choose to complete the process prior to notification, your background check will not be accepted and you will have to repeat the process.

I am going to be practicing in two locations; do I need a CSR for each location?

  • You need a separate CSR for each location you are dispensing, administering and/or storing controlled substances.  If you are only prescribing controlled substances, you only need one (1) CSR at your primary place of practice.

I have submitted an application for licensure and am no longer taking the position and therefore no longer need an Indiana license.  What do I need to do and can you refund my application fee?

  • You will need to email us that you wish to withdraw your application.  All fees are non-refundable unless otherwise stated according to IC 25-1-8-2(e).

I attended two medical schools; do I need to send both transcripts?

  • Yes, you need to send both transcripts. The school you graduated from must have the degree confirmed on the transcript.

How long will it take to obtain my medical license?

  • How long it takes, is really up to the applicant and how long the documentation takes to get to us.  Once we receive your final document, you will be licensed within 72 hours. Please note that if you have a positive response on your application a delay will occur, as positive responses may be reviewed by the Board.  The Board may determine to request a personal appearance.  If an appearance is requested, a letter will be sent to you via email.

What is the requirements/benefits to apply for a temporary permit?

  • A temporary permit requires the application, $250 application fee plus the $100 temporary permit fee, photo and proof of licensure in another state (i.e. copy of a valid pocket license).  A temporary permit is valid for 90 days or until the permanent license is issued.  There are no practice restrictions when practicing under a temporary permit.

What are the benefits to using the Uniform Application (UA)?

  • Indiana does not require the UA, nor do we endorse it, however, it can be a useful tool for physicians.  The (UA) is a web-based application that standardizes, simplifies and streamlines the licensure application process for physicians.  Physicians fill out the UA online application once and then in the future just need to update/resend to other states. There is an additional $40 required, on top of the licensure fee for Indiana.  Once the application is submitted electronically, you will also need to print a copy of the application and mail to Indiana, along with the $250 fee.

What are the benefits to using the Federation Credentials Verification Service (FCVS)?

  • Indiana does not require you to use FCVS, nor do we endorse it, however it can be a useful tool to physicians.  FCVS establishes a permanent, lifetime repository of primary-source verified core credentials.  They maintain a record of everything from medical diplomas to passports – so physicians don’t have to go through the time and effort of assembling and forwarding the information every time they need a state license or credentials. The core credentials information collected and stored by FCVS includes:
    • Physician identity
    • Medical education records
    • Post Graduate training records
    • Examination history
    • Disciplinary history
  • Tips for using FCVS: Building a credentials portfolio can be a time-consuming process . It involves contacting multiple sources to ensure the information about you that we are archiving is accurate. Please visit http://www.fsmb.org/licensure/fcvs/tips-for-applying for tips on how you can help make your application experience go as smoothly as possible

When does my medical license expire?

  • All medical licenses expire October 31 of odd-numbered years, regardless of when the license is issued.  Renewal notifications will be sent by email approximately 90 days prior to the expiration date.  The renewal fee is $200 for the medical license and $60 for the CSR.

Do I need to obtain continuing medical education to renew my license?

  • No, CME is not required in Indiana.