Close Menu

Instructions for Indiana Controlled Substances Registration

NOTE: The current application fee is $60.00 for practitioner

Practitioners: Applicants must have an active Indiana professional license before they can obtain an Indiana CSR. A physician or an osteopathic physician who is practicing with an Indiana temporary medical license is not eligible for a CSR until he/she receives a permanent license. A practitioner must hold one CSR in order to prescribe controlled substances in the State of Indiana. An additional, separate registration is required for each practice address at which a practitioner physically possesses controlled substances to administer or dispense. A separate registration is NOT required for each place where a practitioner merely prescribes controlled substances. One valid CSR is sufficient for a practitioner to prescribe controlled substances throughout the State.

Applicants MUST use an Indiana practice address when applying for a CSR. The CSR can only be mailed to the address submitted on the application. A CSR will only be issued to a street address; post office boxes will not be acceptable unless accompanied by a street address. An application with an incomplete or out of state address will be returned. Registrants must notify the Professional Licensing Agency in writing of any change of address.

Practitioners who have a positive response on their initial CSR or CSR renewal applications must submit the following detailed information, if applicable:

  • Regulatory Board orders or decisions
  • Court or other legal documents
  • Impaired practitioner program compliance

What schedules to request:
Practitioners usually apply for authorization for Schedules II through V, as Schedule I controlled substances have no accepted medical use and are generally restricted to researchers only.

Once your application file is complete, including any verification from other states or boards, it will be reviewed by your licensing Board for approval. Note that if you have given a positive response to any of the questions pertaining to past disciplinary or legal action, your application will be reviewed by the Controlled Substances Advisory Committee at their regularly scheduled meetings.

For additional information regarding CSRs or the application, please contact your individual licensing Board.

NOTICE: In compliance with IC 4-1-6, the Professional Licensing Agency notifies all applicants that they must provide the requested information. Without it, the application will not be processed. Applicants have the right to challenge, correct or explain information maintained by the Professional Licensing Agency. All information provided by applicants becomes public record

Additional Information Pertaining to CSRs:
Drug Enforcement Administration: Practitioners may apply for the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) registration at the same time as the State CSR; please indicate "pending" where the DEA requests the State license number. The Professional Licensing Agency does not have DEA forms. For information regarding the DEA registration, please contact the DEA Indianapolis Field Office at 575 North Pennsylvania Street, Indianapolis, IN 46204 or by telephone at (317) 226-7977.

Renewals: Each registrant will receive a renewal for the CSR at the same time that he or she renews his or her professional license with the Professional Licensing Agency. It is the responsibility of the registrant to renew the CSR. Renewal applications for CSRs are mailed 60 days prior to the expiration of the permit. If you do not receive your renewal application at that time, please contact your individual licensing Board to request a duplicate application.

Address Change: You are required to notify the Professional Licensing Agency of any address changes. Controlled substances registrations are issued for a particular purpose at a specified location. Any change of address for practitioners must be reported to the PLA and to the appropriate professional licensing board. Your written notice must include your name, license number, profession, social security number, date of birth, and both your old and new addresses. Please send the information to: ATTN: (Your Licensing Board), Professional Licensing Agency, 402 West Washington Street, Room W072, Indianapolis, Indiana 46204, or fax the changes to 317-233-4236. Be sure to include your license number.

Name Change: You may have the name changed on your licensure records by submitting a copy of an official name change document such as a marriage certificate or a divorce decree. A copy of a social security card will NOT be accepted. Please send the information to: ATTN: (Your Licensing Board), Professional Licensing Agency, 402 West Washington Street, Room W072, Indianapolis, Indiana 46204, or fax the changes to 317-233-4236. Your letter should include your name as it is listed now, your new name, your license number, profession, social security number, and date of birth. If you want us to send you a new pocket card, please indicate in the letter that a new card is needed due to the name change.