Close Menu

Application by Endorsement

Applicants wishing to apply for licensure by endorsement must hold an active license in at least one state or territory in the United States.

  1. Completed Application: Applications may be submitted online at MyLicense.IN.gov or completed by paper and mailed to our office. A request for the ;Nurse Licensure Compact (NLC) license can be made during the application process if the primary state of residence is Indiana. If you have ever held a license as a nurse previously in Indiana, and are applying again for the same license type, please contact our office at (317) 234-2043 or by email at pla2@pla.in.gov to inquire about reactivating your previous license.
  2. Application Fee of $50.00: Pay by credit or debit card for applications submitted online at MyLicense.IN.gov. If applying by paper/mail make checks or money orders payable to Indiana Professional Licensing Agency. If a NLC license is requested on the application, there is an additional $25.00 fee. All application fees are nonrefundable.
  3. Active License Verification: Submit proof of current, active licensure in another state or territory (please include documentation of license expiration date). If you do not have an active license in another state or territory, you will not be eligible for licensure by endorsement in Indiana.
  4. Education: If you have not completed high school a copy of your GED scores must accompany the application. (Foreign graduates see additional information below)
  5. Name Change Documentation: Documentation of any legal name change if your name differs from that on any of your documents. Documentation may include a copy of your marriage certificate or divorce decree.
  6. Positive Response Documentation: If you answer "Yes" to any disciplinary/background questions on the application, explain fully in a statement that includes all details. Include the violation, location, date and disposition. Submit copies of court documents for each instance to support the statement. If malpractice, provide the name(s) of the plaintiff(s).
  7. Nursing Education: If your state of original licensure does not verify education for their applicants for other state board of nursing, you will need to provide official documentation of graduation from a state accredited program in nursing, provided directly to the Indiana State Board of Nursing from your nursing program. If the nursing program completed was in a territory and was not previously approved by a state board, the transcripts would need to be submitted directly to the board from the school for evaluation. All documentation must be in English. (Foreign graduates see below)
  8. Criminal Background Check: If you submit a paper application, a confirmation email advising you to do your criminal background check will be sent to the email address supplied on the application. If the application is submitted online, you may start your criminal background check process after the receipt screen appears after submitting your online application and payment. Applicants who complete a criminal background check prior to their application being received will be required to complete another criminal background check.
  9. Verification of Licensure: If you are requesting the NLC license and currently have an active NLC license in another state of the same type, we require only the NURSYS verification showing the active acceptable license for this requirement. For all other situations we must receive verification from every state, territory, and country that you hold or have held a license, certificate, registration, or permit to practice nursing and/or any other regulated health occupation. Your nursing license must be active in at least one state or territory. Verification should be obtained by one of the following methods, which is the applicants responsibility. *Note: your original state of licensure should verify that you have taken and passed the National Council Licensing Examination (NCLEX) in English or the State Board Test pool Examination (SBTPE). You will not be eligible for licensure in Indiana if you have only taken a state constructed examination. (Canadian graduates see below)
    1. NURSYS verification will be provided through the National Council of State Boards of Nursing for every state and territory that participates in NURSYS. Boards participating in NURSYS are viewable here: http://www.nursys.com/NLV/NLVJurisdictions.aspx. You must submit a NURSYS verification form to the National Council of State Boards of Nursing (NCSBN) for verification of any nursing license you hold or have ever held. Please register online at Nursys.com to verify any licenses ever held in any of the NURSYS participating states.
    2. Jurisdictions not using the NURSYS program need to be sent a Verification of State Licensure form. The should return this form back to the Indiana Board of Nursing or submit their own form including all requested information. Please check with each state and territory to see if there is a fee for this service. Verification needs to be sent from every state and territory that you hold or have ever held a license in.

All documents being sent to our office from a direct source should be mailed to:
Indiana Professional Licensing Agency
Attn: Nursing Board
402 West Washington Street
Room W072
Indianapolis, IN 46204

Foreign Nursing Graduates: Foreign Nurse Graduates must submit, along with the items 1-8, the following:

  1. This requirement applies if your original state of licensure does not directly provide verification of your foreign education credentials.
    1. Official nursing school transcripts provided through a credentials evaluation service such as CGFNS, which specify Theory and Clinical Experience in all areas.
    2. Official copy of high school diploma or equivalent or official transcripts.

Canadian Nurse Graduates: must submit, along with the items 1-8, the following:

  1. Official nursing school transcripts which specify theory and clinical experience in all areas.
  2. Your original state of licensure should verify that you have taken and passed one of the following examinations.
    1. National Council Licensing Examination (NCLEX)
    2. State Board Test Pool Examination (SBTPE)
    3. The English version of the Canadian Nurses Examination (CNATS)

"Official" means the document must be the original document or a notarized copy provided directly from another state board of nursing or the awarding entity.

  1. If your original state of licensure has an official copy of your nursing school transcripts and/or high school diploma or equivalent, you may request that state forward a certified copy to this office.
  2. All documents must be accompanied with an official translation if not in English. The Board will accept as "official translations" only those translations coming from the consulate or embassy of the country in which the nursing school is located, or those provided as part of a credentials evaluation service such as provided by CGFNS.

All applications not completed within one year will be considered abandoned and a new application and fee will need to be submitted.

IC 25-23-1-10.5 Temporary permits

Sec. 10.5. (a) The board may issue a temporary permit to practice as a nurse to a nurse licensed to practice in another state or territory of the United States, who has applied to the board for licensure by endorsement and submitted proof of current licensure to the board. The permit is valid for ninety (90) days after issuance or upon denial of licensure by the board. The permit may be renewed by the board, for a period not to exceed ninety (90) days, if, in the determination of the board, it is not possible to complete the application process in that time period.

(b) Persons holding a temporary permit to practice as a nurse are subject to the disciplinary provisions of this chapter and IC 25-1-9.

(c) The board may establish by rule under IC 4-22-2 application procedures and requirements for the issuance of temporary permits under this section.

As added by P.L.169-1985, SEC.71. Amended by P.L.149-1987, SEC.59; P.L.152-1988, SEC.16; P.L.48-1991, SEC.38; P.L.243-1995, SEC.1.

The statutes and rules do not allow more than 1 temporary permit to be issued per pending endorsement application. For more information, please review the statutes and rules at https://www.in.gov/pla/3868.htm.