CONTROLLED SUBSTANCE REGISTRATION
Advanced Practice Registered Nurse Continuing Education
Beginning July 1, 2019, each practitioner renewing their controlled substances registration will need to have completed two (2) hours of continuing education in the topic of opioid prescribing and opioid abuse.
Licensees will not need to submit certificates of completion. Instead, they will attest on their renewal form that the hours have been completed. The Indiana State Board of Nursing may then audit up to 10% of licensees to ensure compliance. Licensees should retain their certificates of completion for up to 3 years from the date of renewal.
Approved continuing education organizations include:
- United States Department of Education
- Council on Post-Secondary Education
- Joint Commission on Accreditation of Hospitals
- Joint Commission on Healthcare Organizations
- Federal, state, and local government agencies
- A college or other teaching institution accredited by the United States Department of Education or the Council on Post-Secondary Education
- A national organization of licensed Advanced Practice Registered Nurses
- A national, state, district or local organization that operates as an affiliated entity under the approval of an organization listed above
- An internship or residency program conducted in a hospital that has been approved by an organization listed above