Continuing Education Requirements
Registered Nurses and Licensed Practical Nurses are not required to obtain continuing education for regular licensure renewal. RNs and LPNs attempting to renew a license that has been expired for 3 years or more and who are not currently licensed in another jurisdiction will need to contact the IPLA for additional guidance.
For RN and LPN licensees expired 3 years or more with no active license in another state wishing to make their license active, a personal appearance will be necessary for the Board to evaluate the licensee for renewal. The personal appearance will be scheduled after the completed renewal form is submitted to the IPLA with the $100 fee.
Certified Nurse Midwives are not required to obtain continuing education for renewal of a limited license to practice nurse midwifery. As with all licensed nurses, they are expected to maintain skills and knowledge sufficient to remain competent to practice.
Advanced Practice Nurses with Prescriptive Authority must obtain at least thirty (30) hours of continuing education, at least eight (8) hours of which must be in pharmacology. Please keep your continuing education certificates of completion for your records in the event that you are audited by the Board. Acceptable continuing education programs must be approved by a nationally approved sponsor of continuing education for advanced practice nurses.
If the applicant was initially granted prescriptive authority:
- less than twelve (12) months before the expiration date of the prescriptive authority, no continuing education is required; or
- at least twelve (12) months before the expiration date of the prescriptive authority, the applicant shall submit proof to the Board that the applicant has successfully completed at least fifteen (15) contact hours of continuing education. The hours must:
- be completed after the prescriptive authority was granted and before the expiration of the prescriptive authority;
- include at least eight (8) contact hours of pharmacology; and
- be approved by a nationally approved sponsor of continuing education for nurses, approved by the board.
Per IC 35-48-3-3.5 beginning July 1, a practitioner must have 2 hours of CE in opioid prescribing and opioid abuse in order to renew a CSR. The hours must be from an approved sponsor and can count toward the 8 hour pharmacology requirement. If an APRN hold multiple CSRs, the 2 hours will count for the renewal requirement for all of them.