Indiana Optometry Board
NOTICE: We do not confirm receipt of items as they are received.
Please allow 4-6 weeks for review of applications and documentation. Upon review of application and additional documentation, you will be notified by email of any missing items.
You may also log onto your MyLicense account to view updates as they are processed. Allow 4-6 weeks for processing of submitted items. Items are processed in the order they are received.
Applicants are responsible for reviewing the application information for their license type for a full list of requirements. Application information for all licenses can be found in the Board's Licensing Information section. Status updates for new applications will not be provided over the phone.
Temporary Waiver from E-Prescribing Requirement: If a practitioner believes they may be eligible for a waiver from the e-prescribing requirements effective Jan. 1, 2021; they may visit the State Board of Pharmacy’s website to apply for a waiver. More information, including the reasons for which a waiver may be approve can be found HERE.
Important notice regarding changes to the law affecting prescribing practitioners:
Effective July 1st, 2019, pursuant to House Enrolled Acts 1246 and 1542, the Indiana scheduled prescription electronic collection and tracking (INSPECT) program will begin monitoring and tracking the prescribing and dispensation of Gabapentin. Please note, this change solely provides for the monitoring and inclusion of Gabapentin in the INSPECT database and does not schedule or affect the prescribing of Gabapentin.
For more information and a copy of House Enrolled Act 1246 or House Enrolled Act 1542, please visit the Indiana General Assembly website at iga.in.gov.
Important notice regarding changes to the law affecting Continuing Education requirements for Controlled Substance Registrants and Re-registrants:
Effective July 1st, 2019, pursuant to Senate Enrolled Act 225-2018, a practitioner who is licensed by a board and applies for registration or re-registration to distribute or dispense a controlled substance must have completed two (2) hours of continuing education during the previous two (2) years addressing the topic of opioid prescribing and opioid abuse.
For more information and a copy of Senate Enrolled Act 225-2018, please visit the Indiana General Assembly website at iga.in.gov.
Please review the information below regarding on-going mandatory query laws:
- Registration for the INSPECT database: IC 35-48-7-11.3
- Beginning January 1, 2019, a practitioner who is permitted to distribute, dispense, prescribe, conduct research with respect to, or administer ephedrine, pseudoephedrine, or a controlled substance in the course of the practitioner's professional practice or research in the United States must be certified under section 11.1(d)(4) of this chapter to receive information from the INSPECT program.
- Mandatory Query of the INSPECT database in certain instances: IC 35-48-7-11.1
- Beginning July 1, 2018, A practitioner who has had the information from the database integrated into the patient's electronic health records.
- Beginning January 1, 2019, a practitioner who provides services to the patient in the emergency department of a hospital licensed under IC 16-21 or a pain management clinic.
- Beginning January 1, 2020, a practitioner who provides services to the patient in a hospital licensed under IC 16-21.
- Beginning January 1, 2021, all practitioners.
Senate Enrolled Act 221 is effective July 1st, 2018 with subsequent rolling effective dates for mandatory query when prescribing in certain circumstances.
The full text of the bill can be found at the following link: iga.in.gov
For more information or to sign up your facility for the Statewide Integration Initiative, visit the INSPECT website at the following address: https://www.in.gov/pla/inspect
Toby Snell, Board Director
Dinena Moore, Assistant Board Director
LaMeka Bland, Customer Service Representative
Himja Parikh, Customer Service Representative
Anna Howe, Customer Service Representative
Staff Phone: (317) 234-8800
Staff Fax: (317) 233-4236
Staff Email: email@example.com
Indiana Professional Licensing Agency
Attn: Indiana Optometry Board
402 W. Washington Street, Room W072
Indianapolis, Indiana 46204