CPA Application Instructions
Apply Online Now!
Go to MyLicense.IN.gov and you will either need to create or login to your Access Indiana, single sign-on account. You will complete the online application and submit payment with a credit or debit card. You will be contacted by a customer service representative with details of what additional documentation is required to complete your application. Applications are processed in the order received.
Certified Public Accountancy License Instructions
- Completed Application: Applications may be submitted online at MyLicense.IN.gov or completed by paper and mailed to our office. If submitting the paper application, all sections of Parts I and II must be completed and submitted for all methods except applicants applying by Reciprocity from a State that is Substantially Equivalent to Indiana.
- Application Fee:
- -No fee is required during submission of Application for first time applicants. This method is Board Approval.
- -The application fee for all other application methods is $75.00 to be paid by credit or debit card for applications submitted online at MyLicense.IN.gov. If applying by paper/mail make checks or money orders payable to Indiana Professional Licensing Agency. All application fees are nonrefundable.
- Positive Response Documentation: If you answer "Yes" to any questions on the application, explain fully in a statement that includes all details. Include the violation, location, date, cause number, and disposition. Submit copies of court documents for each instance to support the statement.
- Notarized CPA Verification of Experience* – State Form 53888: Required for all methods other than Reciprocity from a Substantially Equivalent State Applicants. Section 1 is to be completed by the applicant, section 2 is to be completed by the individual with an active license, and section 3 is to be completed by the Notary Public. This document may be uploaded during the application process, emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org, or mailed for processing.
- CPA Examination Grades from the state the Exam(s) were taken (Original Document): Required for Transfer of Grades and Board Approval application methods.
- Transcripts*: Original copy of the transcript(s). This information is to be sent directly from the college/university.
- Name Change Documentation: Documentation of any legal name change if your name differs from that on any of your documents. Documentation may include a copy of your marriage certificate or divorce decree.
- Verification of Licensure: Verification or “Letter of Good Standing” for any registration/license/certification to practice any profession or occupation in another state or territory. Verifications must be submitted directly from the state of issuance. You may find the verification form here.
- Issuance Fee: An issuance fee will be required once the application is approved. Each applicant will be notified by email of the amount based on 872 IAC 1-1-10.
*Not required for Reciprocity applicants. This information is confirmed on the Verification of License/Letter of Good Standing.
The Fair Information Practice Act: In compliance with Ind. Code 4-1-6, this agency is notifying you that you must provide the requested information, or your application will not be processed. You have the right to challenge, correct, or explain information maintained by this agency. The information you provide will become public record. Your examination scores and grade transcripts are confidential except in circumstances where their release is required by law, in which case you will be notified.
Mandatory Disclosure of U.S. Social Security Number: Your social security number is being requested by this state agency in accordance with Ind. Code 4-1-8-1 and 25-1-5- 11(a). Disclosure is mandatory, and this record cannot be processed without it.
Failure to disclose your U.S. social security number will result in the denial of your application. Application fees are not refundable.
Abandon Applications: If an applicant does not submit all requirements within one (1) year after the date on which the application is filed, the application for licensure is abandoned without any action of the Board. An application submitted after an abandoned application shall be treated as a new application.
CPA Application Information
- IPLA Address/Phone Number/Fax/Email/Website:
Indiana Professional Licensing Agency
Attn: State Board of Accountancy
402 West Washington Street, Room W072
Indianapolis, Indiana 46204
Staff Phone: (317) 234-8800
FAX #: (317) 233-4236
Staff Email: email@example.com
- Information on Application Methods –
- Board Approval – For applicants that have never held a Certified Public Accountancy (CPA) License in any US jurisdiction, have successfully completed the CPA exam in Indiana, and want to obtain your first license in the State of Indiana.
- Transfer of Grades – For applicants that have obtained education and experience and have passed the CPA Exam in another state, but do not currently hold a license in that other state.
- Reciprocity – For applicants that have an active license in a Substantially Equivalent State and wish to obtain a CPA License in Indiana.
- List of Substantially Equivalent States
Substantially Equivalent Jurisdiction
Alabama (Two Tier State)*
Illinois (Two Tier State)*
Commonwealth of the Northern
Kansas (Two Tier State)*
Montana (Two Tier State)*
Nebraska (Two Tier State)*
*Note: Two Tier States may have separate Licenses and Certificates. Indiana REQUIRES the proof of License. Certificates will not be accepted. Holders of Certificates are required to submit Transfer of Grades Application.
The following States/Territories are NOT Equivalent States and must complete submit the Notarized CPA Verification of Experience.
Not Equivalent Territories
Licensure/Application Fee Structure
CPA Certificate of Registration – 3 years
|First year of cycle (July 1, 2021 – June 30, 2022)||$85.00*||872 IAC 1-1-10(b) (4)|
|Second year of cycle (July 1, 2022 – June 30, 2023)||$60.00*||872 IAC 1-1-10(c) (1)|
|Third year of cycle (July 1, 2023 – June 30, 2024)||$35.00*||872 IAC 1-1-10(c) (2)|
- Other Documentation
The following will be forwarded to our office by NASBA CPA Examination Services for Board Approval Applicants. If your application arrives before we receive your transcript and grades, a customer service representative will contact CPA Exam Services and request the information be mailed to us.
- Files will contain:
Certified Original College/University Transcript
CPA Examination Grades
If you have any questions regarding your examinations or transcripts contact:
NASBA CPA Examination Services
- Toll Free: 1.800.CPA.EXAM
CPA Examination Services
PO Box 198469
Nashville, Tennessee 37219-8469
- Phone: 615.880.4250
- Fax: 615.880.4290, Attn: IN Coordinator
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org