Mental Health Counselor - Reciprocity
This section is to be used by the applicant to ensure all requirements have been requested and/or submitted. Please see the Requirements: Detailed section for more information.
—— Completed Application
—— Application fee of $50.00
—— Name Change Documentation
—— Positive Response Documentation
—— Criminal Background Check Required
—— Verification of Licensure
—— National Clinical Mental Health Counseling Exam (NCMHCE) Score report from the National Board of Certified Counselors (NBCC).
—— Jurisprudence Examination
- Completed Application: Applications may be submitted online at MyLicense.IN.gov or completed by paper and mailed to our office.
- Application fee of $50.00: Make checks or money orders payable to Indiana Professional Licensing Agency. All application fees are nonrefundable.
- Name Change Documentation: Documentation of any legal name change if your name differs from that on any of your documents. Documentation may include a copy of your marriage certificate or divorce decree. You may upload, email, or mail the documentation for processing.
- Positive Response Documentation: If you answer "Yes" to any questions on the application, explain fully in a statement that includes all details. Include the violation, location, date, cause number, and disposition. Submit copies of court documents for each instance to support the statement. If malpractice, provide the name(s) of the plaintiff(s). You may upload, email, or mail the documentation for processing.
- Criminal Background Check Required: An individual applying for a license shall submit to a national criminal history background check at the cost of the individual. Please see the step-by-step directions on how to complete the fingerprinting process for your criminal background check by visiting www.in.gov/pla/3241.htm.
- Criminal background checks must be obtained after you apply for your license with the Board and prior to the issuance of a license.
- A criminal background check completed prior to the submission of your application for licensure will not be considered valid.
- Verification of Licensure: If you hold a registration/license/certification to practice any health-related profession or occupation in another state or territory it must be sent to the Board. Verifications must be submitted directly from the state of issuance. States may email or mail us their verifications forms, or they may complete our verification form here.
- The top portion of this form should be completed by the applicant and sent to the appropriate state licensing board for their submission to the Indiana Professional Licensing Agency. The form may be duplicated if necessary. Other jurisdictions may charge a fee to verify licensure. You may wish to contact the state boards prior to your request for verification. You do not need to complete this form if you only hold licensure or certification in the State of Indiana.
- Please be advised that you must hold an Active equivalent LMHC license from another state to qualify for reciprocity.
- National Board for Certified Counselors (NBCC) Examination Score Report: Reciprocity applicants must contact the National Board for Certified Counselors (NBCC) and request that an official score report of their NCMHCE exam be sent to the Indiana Professional Licensing Agency.
- PLEASE NOTE: The NCE is not equivalent to the NCMHCE. If you have not taken the NCMHCE exam, you will have to apply to take the exam in the State of Indiana. Please review the applying by exam instructions.
All questions and requests for information about the NBCC licensure examinations should be directed to:
NBCC Assessment Department
3 Terrace Way; Suite D
Greensboro, NC 27403
- Jurisprudence Examination: All reciprocity applicants who are approved for licensure as a mental health counselor (LMHC) will be required to pass a jurisprudence examination.
After the approval of your application by the Board, you will be emailed the law examination confirmation notice after your application has been reviewed and approved by the Board. You will have fourteen (14) days from the date the email is sent to you with the Jurisprudence Examination and Instructions to complete the examination and return the required information to our office.
All applicants applying by reciprocity will be examined on the statutes and rules for the Indiana Behavioral Health and Human Services Licensing Board. This is a 30 question multiple-choice examination. Passing criteria is 75%. Statutes and Administrative Rules are available to download here.