Indiana Optometry Board
Waiver of Limitiation of CE Hours- The Indiana Optometry Board has temporarily waived the requirements found in 852 IAC 1-16-7(c) to permit self-study CE for an optometry license and optometric legend drug certificate renewal to be unlimited in the hours allowed. A copy of the waiver may be found HERE.
PLA Remote Work: In response to COVID-19 and the impact it is having on the State of Indiana, the Professional Licensing Agency will have the majority of our staff working remotely in the coming weeks. While routine operations of the agency will continue, please note that there may be disruptions or delays in the processing of your requests. Please prioritize the usage of email to communicate with our staff whenever possible and scan any documents that need to be processed. We appreciate your patience and flexibility as we work best to protect our staff and serve Hoosiers in these ever-changing times.
Important notice regarding changes to the law affecting prescribing practitioners:
Effective July 1st, 2019, pursuant to House Enrolled Acts 1246 and 1542, the Indiana scheduled prescription electronic collection and tracking (INSPECT) program will begin monitoring and tracking the prescribing and dispensation of Gabapentin. Please note, this change solely provides for the monitoring and inclusion of Gabapentin in the INSPECT database and does not schedule or affect the prescribing of Gabapentin.
For more information and a copy of House Enrolled Act 1246 or House Enrolled Act 1542, please visit the Indiana General Assembly website at iga.in.gov.
Important notice regarding changes to the law affecting Continuing Education requirements for Controlled Substance Registrants and Re-registrants:
Effective July 1st, 2019, pursuant to Senate Enrolled Act 225-2018, a practitioner who is licensed by a board and applies for registration or re-registration to distribute or dispense a controlled substance must have completed two (2) hours of continuing education during the previous two (2) years addressing the topic of opioid prescribing and opioid abuse.
For more information and a copy of Senate Enrolled Act 225-2018, please visit the Indiana General Assembly website at iga.in.gov.
Please review the information below regarding on-going mandatory query laws:
- Registration for the INSPECT database: IC 35-48-7-11.3
- Beginning January 1, 2019, a practitioner who is permitted to distribute, dispense, prescribe, conduct research with respect to, or administer ephedrine, pseudoephedrine, or a controlled substance in the course of the practitioner's professional practice or research in the United States must be certified under section 11.1(d)(4) of this chapter to receive information from the INSPECT program.
- Mandatory Query of the INSPECT database in certain instances: IC 35-48-7-11.1
- Beginning July 1, 2018, A practitioner who has had the information from the database integrated into the patient's electronic health records.
- Beginning January 1, 2019, a practitioner who provides services to the patient in the emergency department of a hospital licensed under IC 16-21 or a pain management clinic.
- Beginning January 1, 2020, a practitioner who provides services to the patient in a hospital licensed under IC 16-21.
- Beginning January 1, 2021, all practitioners.
Senate Enrolled Act 221 is effective July 1st, 2018 with subsequent rolling effective dates for mandatory query when prescribing in certain circumstances.
The full text of the bill can be found at the following link: iga.in.gov
For more information or to sign up your facility for the Statewide Integration Initiative, visit the INSPECT website at the following address: https://www.in.gov/pla/inspect
Rae Harman, Board Director
Dinena Moore, Assistant Board Director
Himja Parikh, Customer Service Representative
Andrea Napier, Customer Service Representative
Jenny Scott, Customer Service Representative
Shannon Caldwell, Customer Service Representative
Vacant, Customer Service Representative
Staff Phone: (317) 234-8800
Staff Fax: (317) 233-4236
Staff Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Indiana Professional Licensing Agency
Attn: Indiana Optometry Board
402 W. Washington Street, Room W072
Indianapolis, Indiana 46204
- Renew or Update Any License
- Track Your Application
- Search and Verify License
- Digital Certification of License
- Order or Print a License
- License Watch
- Download License Files
- Disciplinary Actions / License Litigation
- INspect PDMP
- More IN.gov Online Services
- IN.gov Subscriber Center