Indiana State Board of Nursing
Important notice regarding changes to the law affecting Registered Nurses and Licensed Practical Nurses:
Effective July 1, 2019, pursuant to House Enrolled Act 1344, the Indiana State Board of Nursing and the Indiana Professional Licensing Agency have begun the process to implement the necessary procedures and policies to allow for Indiana to join the Nurse Licensure Compact.
Please note, the language effective July 1, 2019, only provides the authority for the state to begin the process of joining the Nurse Licensure Compact. The compact and its multi-state licensure provisions will not be effective until the implementation has been completed. In previous instances, a state joining the compact may require an implementation period of up to 12 months before full enactment.
Please continue to check this page for future information regarding the implementation and effective date of the Nurse Licensure Compact in Indiana.
Important notice regarding changes to the law affecting Advanced Practice Registered Nurses:
Effective July 1st, 2019, pursuant to House Enrolled Acts 1246 and 1542, the Indiana scheduled prescription electronic collection and tracking (INSPECT) program will begin monitoring and tracking the prescribing and dispensation of Gabapentin. Please note, this change solely provides for the monitoring and inclusion of Gabapentin in the INSPECT database and does not schedule or affect the prescribing of Gabapentin.
For more information and a copy of House Enrolled Act 1246 or House Enrolled Act 1542, please visit the Indiana General Assembly website at iga.in.gov.
Important notice regarding changes to the law affecting Continuing Education requirements for Controlled Substance Registrants and Re-registrants:
Effective July 1st, 2019, pursuant to Senate Enrolled Act 225-2018, a practitioner who is licensed by a board and applies for registration or re-registration to distribute or dispense a controlled substance must have completed two (2) hours of continuing education during the previous two (2) years addressing the topic of opioid prescribing and opioid abuse.
For more information and a copy of Senate Enrolled Act 225-2018, please visit the Indiana General Assembly website at iga.in.gov.
Please review the information below regarding on-going mandatory query laws:
- Registration for the INSPECT database: IC 35-48-7-11.3
- Beginning January 1, 2019, a practitioner who is permitted to distribute, dispense, prescribe, conduct research with respect to, or administer ephedrine, pseudoephedrine, or a controlled substance in the course of the practitioner's professional practice or research in the United States must be certified under section 11.1(d)(4) of this chapter to receive information from the INSPECT program.
- Mandatory Query of the INSPECT database in certain instances: IC 35-48-7-11.1
- Beginning July 1, 2018, A practitioner who has had the information from the database integrated into the patient's electronic health records.
- Beginning January 1, 2019, a practitioner who provides services to the patient in the emergency department of a hospital licensed under IC 16-21 or a pain management clinic.
- Beginning January 1, 2020, a practitioner who provides services to the patient in a hospital licensed under IC 16-21.
- Beginning January 1, 2021, all practitioners.
Senate Enrolled Act 221 is effective July 1st, 2018 with subsequent rolling effective dates for mandatory query when prescribing in certain circumstances.
The full text of the bill can be found at the following link: iga.in.gov
For more information or to sign up your facility for the Statewide Integration Initiative, visit the INSPECT website at the following address: https://www.in.gov/pla/inspect
Licensed Practical Nurse
Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools
Advanced Practice Registered Nurse
Controlled Substance Registration (CSR)
Collaborative Practice Agreement Cover Sheet - Updates or changes to agreements may be emailed to CPA2@pla.in.gov
Sample Collaborative Practice Agreement
Application for Indiana Controlled Substances Registration (CSR) for Practitioners
Criminal Background Check Information
Verification of Out of State Licensure Form
Indiana Professional Licensing Agency
Attn: Indiana State Board of Nursing
402 W. Washington Street, Room W072
Indianapolis, Indiana 46204
Mike Minglin, Interim Director
Keri Reed, Assistant Director of Pre-Licensure
Lorrie Ruble, Customer Service Representative
Alma Steeb, Customer Service Representative
Corey Barber, Customer Service Representative
Claire McNally, Customer Service Representative
Bijanka Robinson, Customer Service Representative
Donna Fisher, Customer Service Representative
Deborah Mosley, Customer Service Representative
Carri Burke, Director of Compliance
Toni Herron, RN, Education Compliance Officer
Ronika Turner, Compliance Officer
Lisa Chapman, Litigation Coordinator
Rebecca Tinsley, Litigation Specialist
Staff Phone: 317-234-2043
Staff Email: pla2@pla.IN.gov
- Renew or Update Any License
- Track Your Application
- Search and Verify License
- Digital Certification of License
- Order or Print a License
- License Watch
- Download License Files
- Disciplinary Actions / License Litigation
- INspect PDMP
- More IN.gov Online Services
- IN.gov Subscriber Center