Indiana State Board of Dentistry
Important notice regarding changes to the law affecting controlled substance prescribing and INSPECT
In light of upcoming changes to the statute regarding the use of the INSPECT database when making treatment and prescribing decisions, please review the information below:
- Registration for the INSPECT database: IC 35-48-7-11.3
- Beginning January 1, 2019, a practitioner who is permitted to distribute, dispense, prescribe, conduct research with respect to, or administer ephedrine, pseudoephedrine, or a controlled substance in the course of the practitioner's professional practice or research in the United States must be certified under section 11.1(d)(4) of this chapter to receive information from the INSPECT program.
- Mandatory Query of the INSPECT database in certain instances: IC 35-48-7-11.1
- Beginning July 1, 2018, A practitioner who has had the information from the database integrated into the patient's electronic health records.
- Beginning January 1, 2019, a practitioner who provides services to the patient in the emergency department of a hospital licensed under IC 16-21 or a pain management clinic.
- Beginning January 1, 2020, a practitioner who provides services to the patient in a hospital licensed under IC 16-21.
- Beginning January 1, 2021, all practitioners.
Senate Enrolled Act 221 is effective July 1st, 2018 with subsequent rolling effective dates for mandatory query when prescribing in certain circumstances. Following the effective date of the bill, the Indiana Professional Licensing Agency will begin an implementation phase and training on the use of the INSPECT program. We are developing a number of outreach tools and education materials focusing on the INSPECT database, and working closely with our partners to reach every practitioner in the state.
The IPLA and its professional boards have always and will continue to demonstrate fairness and collaboration with the professionals they serve. As partner to the professionals of each licensed occupation in the state, it is our intention to remove any obstacles to non-compliance as well as emphasize the use of INSPECT as an easy-to-use and effective tool for clinical decision-making.
We encourage practitioners to take this opportunity to begin instituting any necessary changes now rather than waiting for the relevant effective date. Specifically, we ask that practitioners begin identifying any habits or procedures which can incorporate the INSPECT database, so checks are not missed in the future.
The INSPECT system is an integral tool for patient care and safety. With the Statewide Integration Initiative, INSPECT is now more available to practitioners than ever. We are committed to working in partnership with healthcare professionals to not only comply with the statutory changes, but to do so in the most effective and efficient way possible.
The full text of the bill can be found at the following link: iga.in.gov
For more information or to sign up your facility for the Statewide Integration Initiative, visit the INSPECT website at the following address: https://www.in.gov/pla/inspect
Dental Anesthesia Permit
Dental Hygiene Anesthetic Permit
Mobile Dental Facility
Limited Dental Residency
Continuing Education Sponsor
ResourcesStatutes & Rules
Criminal Background Check Information
Name and Address Change Information
Continuing Education Information
Dental Audit Tracking Worksheet
Dental Hygiene Audit Tracking Worksheet
Board InformationDental Board Members
Board Meeting Dates
Board Minutes and Agendas
Electronic Means Participation Policy
New Statutory Provisions effective July 1, 2014
Cindy Vaught, Board Director
Heather Hollcraft, Assistant Director
Lisa Wise, Litigation Specialist/Customer Service Representative
Rejina Henderson-Stigger, Customer Service Representative
Dana Brooks, Customer Service Representative
Kiera Poindexter, Customer Service Representative
Tiffany Rawlings, Customer Service Representative
Jamison Graham, Customer Service Representative
Staff Phone: (317) 234-2054
Staff Email: email@example.com
Agency Fax: (317) 233-4236
Professional Licensing Agency
Attn: Indiana State Board Of Dentistry
402 W. Washington Street, Room W072
Indianapolis, Indiana 46204