Main Content


Frequently Asked Questions

What is a notarized document?
• A notarized document is a copy of an original document made and verified by a notary. The notary will copy the document, and must state that it is a “true copy of the original document.” They will sign this statement, as well as stamp the document with their seal. We will not accept copied documents that are not notarized correctly.

My notary states he/she cannot make the “true copy” statement, what should I do?
• There are four states that do not allow a notary to make the required statement: Michigan, Illinois, California and New York.  If you are from one of these states you need to do the following:  The custodian makes a photocopy of the original document, makes a written statement about the trueness, correctness and completeness of the copy, signs the statement before a notary, is identified by the notary and takes an oath affirming the truth of the statement.  The notary, having witnessed the signing, identifies the signer either through personal knowledge or satisfactory evidence, and given the oath or affirmation, executes the notary statement.

Why must I provide my email address?
• We require an email address as we send all correspondence regarding your license and application via email.  Please make sure you keep it current with us just as you would your mailing address.

I am out of state, how do I get my criminal background check?
• There are lengthy instructions on how to proceed with the criminal background check on our website.  Go to our 
criminal background check information page, scroll down, and click out of state instructions.

When can I get my criminal background check done?
• You can only obtain your criminal background check once you have been notified that your application has been received by our office.  If you choose to complete the process prior to notification, your background check will not be accepted and you will have to repeat the process. Click
here for more information regarding the process.

Can I obtain a temporary permit?
• You may obtain a temporary permit if:

  1. You submit the $10 temporary permit fee
  2. You meet all requirements for licensure with the exception of having passed the examination
  3. You provide proof of active candidate status with the ABGC

• An individual who is issued a temporary license must:

  1. Apply for and take the next available examination for certification
  2. Practice under the temporary only if directly supervised by a licensed genetic counselor or a physician licensed under IC 25-22.5 under a genetic supervision contract

• An individual who holds a temporary license and fails the examination for the first time may reapply for a second temporary license.  A temporary may not be issued to an individual who has failed the examination more than once.

Further information regarding temporary permits is available on our licensure application page.

How will I know when my license is issued?
• You will receive a computer generated email the evening that your license is issued notifying you of your license number and instructions on how to obtain a copy of your pocket license. You may also view the status of any license on our
Search & Verify online service. If you see that your license has been issued you may order or print a license card using the license number as your login ID and the last 4 digits of your social security number as the password.

When will my license expire?
• All genetic counselor licenses expire June 30th of the even years, regardless of the issuance date.  Renewal notifications will be sent by email approximately 60 days before the expiration date.  The renewal fee is $30. You may view our
renewal information page for additional information regarding renewal.

Will I be required to do continuing education?
• Yes, you are required to complete 50 hours of CE, approved by the National Society of Genetic Counselors for each renewal cycle.  If you are licensed less than 6 months before the expiration date, you are not required to obtain CE. You may view our
continuing education requirements page for more information.