Continuing Competency Information
Effective February 27, 2013 all PT and PTA licensees will be required to obtain continuing education competency in order to renew their license. The Board will require all licensees to have completed twenty-two (22) hours of continuing competency activities for the biennial renewal period, of which two (2) hours must be in an ethics and Indiana jurisprudence course as it relates to the practice of physical therapy. These hours must be obtained within the renewal period and cannot be carried over from one renewal period to another.
Approved continuing education may be found at the following websites:
FSBPT's website is: http://pt.fsbpt.net/aptitude
Ethics and Jurisprudence portion may be found at INAPTA's website: http://education.inapta.org/
In the Board's statute/rules you will find the following information:
Sec. 5. (a) In addition to those approved organizations approved under IC 25-1-4-0.2, the following organizations are approved organizations for the purpose of approving and sponsoring continuing competency courses without making further application to the committee:(1) American Physical Therapy Association (APTA).
(2) American Physical Therapy Association Indiana Chapter (INAPTA).
(3) Federation of State Boards of Physical Therapy (FSBPT).
(4) United States Department of Education.
(5) Council on Postsecondary Education.
(6) Joint Commission on Accreditation of Hospitals.
(7) Joint Commission on Health Care Organizations.
(8) Federal, state, and local governmental agencies.
(9) A national, state, district, or local organization that operates as an affiliated entity under the approval of any organization listed in subdivisions (1) through (8).
(10) A college or other teaching institution accredited by the United States Department of Education or the Council on Postsecondary Education or a regional accreditation association.
(b) The committee will approve continuing competency activities if it determines that the activity:
(1) contributes directly to professional competency;
(2) relates directly to the practice, management, or education of physical therapy practitioners; and
(3) is conducted by individuals who have demonstrated expertise in the subject matter of the program.
Prior approval by the committee is not required for the aforementioned approved organizations. Proof of content shall be demonstrated by the original workshop or conference brochure, agenda, or materials given to participants during the presentations and evidence of successful completion of the course provided by the course instructor, such as certificate of completion or signed agenda indicating completion. (Medical Licensing Board of Indiana; 844 IAC 6-8-5; filed Jan 30, 2013, 12:31 p.m.: 20130227-IR-844120204FRA)
- Renew or Update Any License
- Track Your Application
- Search and Verify License
- Digital Certification of License
- Order or Print a License
- License Watch
- Download License Files
- Disciplinary Actions / License Litigation
- INspect PDMP
- More IN.gov Online Services
- IN.gov Subscriber Center