Insurance may be obtained after the application has been approved but a license will not be issued until proof of insurance is received.
Insurance information can be found in the statutes and rules under IC 25-30-1-15 (Private Investigator Firm) & IC 25-30-1.3-16 (Security Guard Agency).
Applicants for a private investigator firm license and a security guard agency must submit a certificate of insurance or other “evidence of financial responsibility” that is approved by the Board and meets the following requirements:
- Is issued by an insurance company or other legal entity authorized to transact business in Indiana.
- Provides for general liability coverage of at least one hundred thousand dollars ($100,000).
- States that cancellation and nonrenewal of the underlying policy or other evidence of financial responsibility is not effective until the board receives written notice at least ten (10) days before the cancellation or nonrenewal of the policy.
- Contains any other terms and conditions established by the board.
The insurance must cover damages that the insured becomes legally obligated to pay for bodily injury or property damage proximately caused to a person by the insured in conducting business as a private investigator firm and must include coverage the following:
- False arrests, detention, imprisonment
- Malicious prosecution
- Wrongful entry or eviction, or other invasion of the right of private occupancy.
The insurance coverage may not exclude coverage for an intentional act taken by or at the direction of the insured that results in bodily injury, if such injury arises solely from the use of reasonable force for the purpose of protecting persons or property.
IC 25-30-1-15(c) states, “If a licensee fails to comply with the insurance requirements of this section, the license of the licensee shall be suspended. A license suspended under this subsection may not be reinstated until an application for reinstatement of the license, in the form prescribed by the board, is filed with the board, together with proper proof of insurance.”
The Board may deny an application for reinstatement of a license suspended under this section not only for non-compliance with the insurance requirement but including the following:
- Any reason that would justify a refusal to issue, a suspension, or a revocations of a license.
- The performance by the applicant of any practice for which a license under IC 25-30 is required while the license was suspended.
Please send your updated certificate of insurance by one of the options below with your license number visibly noted.
U.S. Mail Service
Indiana Professional Licensing Agency
Private Investigator and Security Guard Licensing Board
402 W. Washington St.
Indianapolis, IN 46204
Attention: Group 10 – PISG
Subject: PISG Insurance Update
Closed Facility Requests
If your private investigator firm or security guard agency is no longer operating and you would like to discontinue receiving information from our agency you may send a written request for a closed facility status. Once a license holds a closed facility status insurance is no longer required. A license cannot be reopened once this status is assigned; you will be required to file a new application and meet all requirements for licensure.
- Renew or Update Any License
- Track Your Application
- Search and Verify License
- Digital Certification of License
- Order or Print a License
- License Watch
- Download License Files
- Disciplinary Actions / License Litigation
- INspect PDMP
- More IN.gov Online Services
- IN.gov Subscriber Center