Continuing Education Requirements
In order to renew your license to practice podiatry in Indiana you are required to have completed no less than fifteen (15) hours of continuing podiatric medical education each licensure year. The Board is currently on a two (2) year renewal cycle. The continuing education must have been completed during the renewal period prior to license renewal. In addition, all continuing education programs must be sponsored, accredited or approved by any of the organizations listed in below (845 IAC 1-5-3).
Please review the following rules carefully, as they will help clarify the above requirements. Please note that there are some circumstances in which the above requirements may not apply. Further explanation of this may be found in the boards statutes and rules.
Credit Hours Required
- A licensee who renews a license as a podiatrist shall complete no less than thirty (30) hours of continuing podiatric medical education in courses or programs approved by any of the approved sponsors in each two (2) year renewal period.
- A podiatrist is not required to complete continuing education requirements for the year in which the initial license is issued.
- If you received your initial license in the first licensure year, then you are only required to have completed fifteen (15) hours of continuing podiatric medical education for this renewal period in order to renew your license.
- If you received your initial license in the second licensure year, then you are not required to have completed any hours of continuing podiatric medical education for this renewal period in order to renew your license.
- Continuing podiatric medical education acquired in any area other than podiatric medicine will not be accepted.
- Continuing education credit units or clock hours must be obtained within the renewal period and may not be carried over from one (1) licensure period to another.
Approval of Continuing Education Programs
To receive credit for continuing education programs, the program must be sponsored, accredited, or approved by any of the following organizations:
- American Association of Podiatric Physicians and Surgeons.
- American Medical Association (programs related to podiatric medicine).
- American Society of Podiatric Dermatology.
- American Society of Podiatric Medicine.
- Council on Podiatric Medical Education.
- A national, regional, state, district, or local organization that operates as an affiliated entity under the approval of any organizations listed in subdivisions (1) through (5).
- Any of the colleges of podiatric medicine accredited by the Council on Podiatric Medical Education.
- A federal, state, or local government agency that coordinates or presents continuing education programs related to podiatric medicine.
- Renew or Update Any License
- Track Your Application
- Search and Verify License
- Digital Certification of License
- Order or Print a License
- License Watch
- Download License Files
- Disciplinary Actions / License Litigation
- INspect PDMP
- More IN.gov Online Services
- IN.gov Subscriber Center