- Optometry licenses and Optometric Legend Drug certificates expire on April 1 of even-numbered years.
- Renewal fees can be determined by reviewing our fee schedule.
- Optometrists are required to complete continuing education in order to renew. For more information regarding CE requirements please visit our continuing education requirements page.
Renewal notices are sent approximately ninety (90) days prior to the expiration date. License holders with valid email addresses on file will be emailed the renewal notice. Those who do not have valid email addresses on file will be mailed the license renewal notice; this notice is mailed to the address of record with the board. The board has no way of knowing whether or not a notice reaches its destination; therefore, when a notice has been emailed to a valid email address or mailed, the duty of the board has been performed.
Online renewal is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for most license renewals. Online renewal takes only minutes, and your renewal will be processed and available for verification the next business day.
The board may classify a license as inactive if the board receives written notification from a licensee that the licensee will not maintain an office or practice optometry in Indiana. The renewal fee for an inactive license is ($84.00). The holder of an inactive license is not required to fulfill continuing education requirements set by the board.
If a licensee renews his/her optometry license on inactive status they are not eligible to renew their optometric legend drug certificate.
Activation of an Inactive license
The Board may issue a license to the holder of inactive license if the applicant:
- Submits a renewal application (please email email@example.com to request a form)
- Payment of the current renewal fee ($115.00)
- Submits copies of certificates of continuing education required by the board for each year, or portion of a year during which the applicant's license has been classified as inactive
After three (3) years of expiration an optometry license may be reinstated by completing the following:
- Submit a completed reinstatement form.
- Payment of the reinstatement fee $334.00
- Completion of continuing education based upon the time period the license has been expired. You will need to submit copies of the continuing education certificates.
- Personal Appearance before the Board.
- At the time of the personal appearance, the Board will determine whether remediation and/or additional training is required based upon the time the license has been expired. This may include retaking the examination administered by the National Board of Examiners in Optometry and/or the Law Examination administered by the Board.
You may have the name changed on your licensure records by submitting a copy of a name change document such as a marriage certificate, divorce decree, social security card, or court papers.
Paper Renewal Documents
To renew your license by paper, you must select a document below. Print and mail the completed form with the required renewal fee to the Indiana Professional Licensing Agency. Checks should be made out to 'Indiana Professional Licensing Agency.' If the renewal form you need is not available, please contact the board by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please send forms and documentation to:
Indiana Professional Licensing Agency
Attn: Indiana Optometry Board
402 West Washington Street, Room W072
Indianapolis, IN 46204
Information submitted should include your name, license number and profession.
- Renew or Update Any License
- Track Your Application
- Search and Verify License
- Digital Certification of License
- Order or Print a License
- License Watch
- Download License Files
- Disciplinary Actions / License Litigation
- INspect PDMP
- More IN.gov Online Services
- IN.gov Subscriber Center