Instructions for Completing the RN/LPN Application for Licensure by Examination for US Graduates
You will need to complete two (2) types of applications (the NCLEX Candidate Bulletin and the Indiana licensure application). The NCLEX bulletin may only be accessed at http://www.ncsbn.org/. Indiana applications for licensure by examination must be completed by each candidate and MUST be submitted to the Indiana Professional Licensing Agency. The registration with NCLEX must be completed according to the instructions in the NCLEX Candidate Bulletin. Both the Indiana licensure application and the NCLEX registration process must be completed before eligibility to take the examination can be granted by the Indiana State Board of Nursing.
- STATE APPLICATION
- Please type or print neatly with dark-colored ink.
- If you have not completed high school, a copy of your GED scores must accompany this application.
- Include a photograph, approximately 2 ½ x 3 ½ inches, head and shoulders view, black and white or color, of professional quality. The photograph must also be affixed with the school seal, the signature of the candidate, and signature of the Dean/Director/Designee on the LOWER FRONT of the photograph.
- Submit this application and the documentation mentioned above, along with a check or money order in the amount of $50.00 for Registered Nurses and $50.00 for Practical Nurses (THESE FEES ARE NON-REFUNDABLE) made payable to the Indiana Professional Licensing Agency, to:
Indiana Professional Licensing Agency
402 West Washington Street, Room W072
Indianapolis, Indiana 46204
- NCLEX APPLICATION & REGISTRATION
The NCLEX application and registration process MUST be completed according to the instructions in the NCLEX Candidate Bulletin. The NCLEX bulletin may only be accessed at http://www.ncsbn.org/. You may register by mail, telephone (1-866-496-2539), or internet at http://www.ncsbn.org/. The current fee for the NCLEX is $200.00 payable to the National Council of State Boards of Nursing in the form of a certified check, cashier's check or money order.
- CERTIFICATE OF COMPLETION FORM
This certificate must be completed by the Dean/Director/Designee of the program of nursing and received at the Board's address (above) before you can be declared eligible to take the examination. This form must be provided directly from the program of nursing. The Board will not accept a certificate of completion form provided by parties other than the nursing program's Dean, Director, or Designee.
- VERIFICATION OF LICENSURE
- We must receive verification from EVERY state, territory, and country in which you hold or have held a nursing license. States that participate in NURSYS are as follows: AL, AR, CO, DE, DC, FL, ID, IN, IA, KY, ME, MD, MA, MN, MS, MO, MT, NB, NH, NJ, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, RI, SC. SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, WA, WV-PN only, WI and WY. You can register online at http://www.nursys.com/.
All other states not participating in NURSYS and countries must be sent a Verification of State Licensure Form to be completed by that respective state board and returned to our office. Please check with each state to see if there is a fee for this service. Verification needs to be sent from every state on which you hold or have ever held a nursing license.
- You must also provide verification of all health related licenses and certificates you hold or have held, including but not limited to CNA licenses, EMT certifications, etc
- ADMISSION TO EXAMINATION
Please refer to the NCLEX Candidate Bulletin for information on admission procedures.
- NAME CHANGES
A copy of a marriage certificate or divorce decree must be submitted by candidates who have changed their name after the application has been filed. Please specify on the name change document the type of examination for which you applied and the date of the examination.
- SPECIAL ACCOMMODATIONS
Candidates who require special accommodations or a modification of the normal examination procedures must notify the Board in writing when the application is filed and state the modification being requested. A letter from an appropriate health professional confirming the diagnosis of the disability or condition must also be submitted with the application, as well as a letter from the nursing program stating accommodations made by the program, if any. Candidates will be notified of the arrangements made by the Board.
- NOTIFICATION OF RESULTS
The processing of examination results takes at least three (3) weeks to complete from the date the candidate was administered the examination. Successful candidates who have met all the other application requirements for licensure will receive an e-mail from the Indiana Professional Licensing Agency with a license number. Unsuccessful candidates will receive a notification letter and an application to retake the examination. EXAMINATION RESULTS ARE NOT GIVEN OUT VIA TELEPHONE. Excessive calls inquiring about results only hinders our staff's ability to process them as quickly as possible. New licenses can be verified on the internet via Access Indiana at http://www.in.gov/pla.
Any questions regarding the application process, should be directed to (317) 234-2043 or pla2@pla.IN.gov Please allow at least 4 weeks before you call regarding the status of your application for examination.
- RENEWAL OF LPN AND RN LICENSES
Registered Nurse (RN) licenses expire on October 31 of odd-numbered years and Practical Nurse (LPN) licenses expire on October 31 of even-numbered years, regardless of the issuance date. Please consider this when you are applying for licensure. The renewal fee is $50.00. If you fail to renew by the expiration date, you will be accessed a $50.00 late fee.
It is your responsibility as a licensed nurse to make sure that the Indiana Professional Licensing Agency always has your current address. Renewal notifications will be sent to the address on record. Renewals will be available online at http://www.in.gov/pla . You may update your address online at any time by logging into Indiana's Online Licensing Service (Your login ID will be your license number, and your password will be your social security number).
In compliance with Indiana Code 4-1-6, this agency is notifying you that you must provide the requested information or your application will not be processed. You have the right to challenge, correct, or explain information maintained by this agency. The information you provide will become public record. Your examination scores and grade transcripts are confidential except in circumstances where their release is required by law, in which case you will be notified.
Your Social Security Number is being requested by this state agency in accordance with Indiana Code 4-1-8-1. Disclosure is mandatory, and this record cannot be processed without it.
If you are a graduate of a program outside of the US, please access Application & Instructions for Licensure by Examination for Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools.
- Renew or Update Any License
- Track Your Application
- Search and Verify License
- Digital Certification of License
- Order or Print a License
- License Watch
- Download License Files
- Disciplinary Actions / License Litigation
- INspect PDMP
- More IN.gov Online Services
- IN.gov Subscriber Center