Application & Instructions for Licensure by Examination for Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools
You will need to complete two (2) types of applications (the NCLEX Candidate Bulletin and the Indiana licensure application). The NCLEX bulletins may be found online at http://www.ncsbn.org/ or call our office at (317) 234-2043 or e-mail email@example.com to receive a booklet.
Indiana applications for licensure by examination must be completed by each candidate and MUST be submitted to the Indiana Professional Licensing Agency. The registration with NCLEX must be completed according to the instructions in the NCLEX Candidate Bulletin. Both the Indiana licensure application and the NCLEX registration process must be completed before eligibility to take the examination can be granted by the Indiana State Board of Nursing.
- Please type or print neatly with dark-colored ink.
- Submit an official or notarized copy of your high school or secondary school transcripts verifying proof of graduation from the school to the Indiana Professional Licensing Agency.
- Include a photograph, approximately 2 ½ x 3 ½ inches, head and shoulders view, black and white or color, of professional quality. The photograph must also be affixed with your signature on the LOWER FRONT of the photograph.
- Submit an official or notarized copy of your nursing school transcripts separated into clinical and theory hours or days sent directly from the school to the Indiana Professional Licensing Agency. Transcripts sent directly from the Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools will also be accepted.
- Evidence must be provided that a candidate has taken and passed the Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools (CGFNS) examination directly from the CGFNS to the Indiana Professional Licensing Agency. Those candidates who are equivalent to education as a RN in the United States are not eligible to become licensed as a LPN in Indiana. <br>Pursuant to 848 IAC 1-1-6, foreign candidates seeking licensure as an LPN by examination in Indiana must show evidence of having passed the examination prepared by the Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools (CGFNS). COMMISSION ON GRADUATES OF FOREIGN NURSING SCHOOLS
3600 Market Street, Suite 400
Philadelphia, PA 19104-2651
- VERIFICATION OF LICENSURE - Graduates of foreign schools of nursing shall meet the following qualifications before being licensed in Indiana: Be licensed in the territory or country in which they graduated. We must receive official verification of your nursing license from the territory or country you graduated in.
- Submit this application and the documentation mentioned above, along with a check or money order in the amount of $50.00 for Registered Nurses and $50.00 for Practical Nurses (THESE FEES ARE NON-REFUNDABLE) made payable to the Indiana Professional Licensing Agency, to:
Professional Licensing Agency
402 West Washington Street, Room W072
Indianapolis, Indiana 46204
- NCLEX APPLICATION & REGISTRATION
The NCLEX application and registration process MUST be completed according to the instructions in the NCLEX Candidate Bulletin. You may register either by mail or by telephone. The current fee for the NCLEX is $200.00 payable to the National Council of State Boards of Nursing in the form of a certified check, cashier's check or money order. You may also register online at www.ncsbn.org with a credit card.
- ADMISSION TO EXAMINATION Please refer to the NCLEX Candidate Bulletin for information on admission procedures.
- NAME CHANGES
A copy of a marriage certificate or divorce decree must be submitted by candidates who have changed their name after the application has been filed. Please specify on the name change document the type of examination for which you applied.
- CANDIDATES REQUIRING SPECIAL ACCOMMODATIONS
Candidates who require modification of the normal examination procedures must notify the Indiana Professional Licensing Agency in writing when the application is filed. A letter from an appropriate health professional confirming the diagnosis of the disability or condition must also be submitted with the application. Candidates will be notified by the Indiana Professional Licensing Agency of the arrangements made by the Board.
- NOTIFICATION OF RESULTS
Candidates will be notified via mail regarding their outcome on the NCLEX. The processing of examination results takes at least three (3) weeks to complete from the date the candidate was administered the examination. Successful candidates will receive a notification letter and a permanent license in the mail. Unsuccessful candidates will receive a notification letter and an application to retake the examination. Unofficial examination results may be obtained by telephone by calling 1-900-225-6000 24 hours after testing. There will be a fee for this service. New licenses can be verified on the internet via Access Indiana at http://www.in.gov/pla/ or by calling the toll-free verification line Monday through Friday between 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. at 1-888-333-7515.
Any questions regarding the application process, should be directed to (317) 234-2043 or firstname.lastname@example.org Please allow 4 weeks to pass before you call about the status of your application.
In compliance with Indiana Code 4-1-6, this agency is notifying you that you must provide the requested information or your application will not be processed. You have the right to challenge, correct, or explain information maintained by this agency. The information you provide will become public record. Your examination scores and grade transcripts are confidential except in circumstances where their release is required by law, in which case you will be notified.
Your Social Security Number is being requested by this state agency in accordance with Indiana Code 4-1-8-1. Disclosure is mandatory, and this record cannot be processed without it.
- Renew or Update Any License
- Track Your Application
- Search and Verify License
- Digital Certification of License
- Order or Print a License
- License Watch
- Download License Files
- Disciplinary Actions / License Litigation
- INspect PDMP
- More IN.gov Online Services
- IN.gov Subscriber Center