- Skip Navigation

Note: This message is displayed if (1) your browser is not standards-compliant or (2) you have you disabled CSS. Read our Policies for more information.


Agency Links Links

OED > Grant Programs > Energy Efficiency and Conservation Block Grant (EECBG) > EECBG FAQ EECBG FAQ

If you have questions not answered here, you may email your questions to Program Manager John Deahl at
Question:  What makes a community entitlement/non-entitlement?
Answer:  The following table is a list of entitlement communities.  If you are not on this list, that means you are non-entitlement.
 Anderson   $560,200
 Bloomington   $745,000
 Carmel   $633,000
 Columbus   $190,000
 Elkhart   $557,300
 Evansville   $1,206,000
 Fishers  $610,100
 Fort Wayne   $2,474,400
 Gary    $935,200
 Greenwood   $193,900
 Hammond   $728,100
 Indianapolis   $8,032,300
 Kokomo   $214,600
 Lafayette  $659,000
 Lawrence  $176,200
 Mishawaka  $219,000
 Muncie  $665,700
 New Albany   $165,900
 Noblesville   $170,000
 Portage   $151,100
 Richmond  $169,200
 South Bend  $1,046,800
 Terre Haute   $617,700
 Allen   $404,500
 Clark    $438,900
 Elkhart   $629,800
 Hamilton   $362,400
 Hendricks  $546,900
 Lake     $2,979,700
 LaPorte   $462,900
 Porter    $511,800
 St. Joseph   $453,400
 Tippecanoe $416,700

Question 2:  How/When does one submit invoices for reimbursement?
Answer:  Once awarded, grantee will have grant agreement generated.  Once the grant agreement is executed, grantee can draw down its grant.  This can be done in one step or multiple, whichever way the grantee wants.  More information on how to make a drawdown will be given to those selected for an award.

Question 3:  How long does it take to receive reimbursement?
Answer:  We cannot give a certain timeframe because once processed in our Office it goes to the Auditor of State and it is out of our control.

Question 5:  Does OED recommend tracking funds separately?
Answer:  Yes, as stated in presentation material ARRA funds are to be kept separate to ensure reporting can be done easily.

Question 6:  If you live in an entitlement county (like Tippecanoe) can a city/town that is non-entitlement (like West Lafayette) apply?
Answer:  Yes as long as the city/town is not a direct entitlement city/town.  In example, West Lafayette is non entitlement and therefore can apply even though it is located within Tippecanoe county.

Question 7:  Do communities involved in other energy projects get “bonus points”?
Answer:  No.  There will be no bonus points on the application/score sheet.  However, there will be an area in the application that will ask for project management experience in these types of projects.  If a community has been part of the Clean Community Challenge or has managed another state grant or done other energy efficiency projects this will be the area to explain that.

Question 8:  Can you apply to areas 1, 2, and 3 separately or all on one application?
Answer:   You can apply to all three areas, however, only one application per applicant per area.  An example, Town XXX wants to apply for LED traffic lights (Area 1), Lighting upgrades to the Community Park (Area 2) and window and HVAC upgrades to the Courthouse (Area 3).  Town XXX could apply for all three areas but only one application for Town XXX in each area will be accepted.

Question 9:  When is the date that the money has to be spent?
Answer:  No date that this time, will be on the website once finalized with all finalized program documents.

Question 10:  How much time will be given in between announcement and materials due?
Answer:  Roughly 2 months.  Again these dates will be provided on finalized application material.

Question 11:  Are administrative costs eligible?
Answer:  No.   However, once we have clarification on Davis Bacon (please see Question 15) this could possibly change.

Question 12:  Do we have to contract out the work or can we use in house labor?
Answer:  You are not required to contract out the work.  Just know that if you use in house staff those labor costs are not eligible reimbursable expenses.  However, those in kind costs should and can be reported as leveraged funds.

Question 13:  Can a Library or a school apply for themselves?
Answer:  Libraries/schools cannot apply for themselves- the city/town/county that they are located within (if they are non-entitlement) may apply on behalf of their projects.  Just note that it is up to that eligible entity to decide if they want to do that.   The applicant, if awarded, is the responsible party over that money/project therefore an agreement would have to be reached between the city/town/county and the sub recipient (school, library).

Question 14:  Will OED oversee grantee’s procurement procedures?
Answer:  No.  Once awarded, procurement procedures are completely up to the non-entitlement community, OED does not have any involvement in procurement.

Question 15:  How does the prevailing wage (Davis-Bacon) language within the Recovery Act affect these projects?
Answer:  OED is working with its legal staff and the US Department of Energy to understand how this clause affects EECBG projects.  More information will be provided at a later date.

Question 16:  If you’re denied in Areas 2 & 3 the first time, can you reapply the second time?
Answer:  Yes.

Question 17:  Do we have to have an Energy Audit?  Would an energy audit serve you with a cost estimate necessary for EECBG application?  Do you have a list of energy auditors?
Answer:  No, energy audits are not required, but they are strongly recommended.  You will be expected to provide some technical information (i.e. energy savings, payback periods, etc.) in your application.  For this reason, some type of energy audit is strongly recommended.
 In addition, there is no standard or requirement for the scope and structure of your energy audit.  In some instances, you may wish to have a targeted energy audit (i.e. only HVAC) conducted on your building.  If you are considering multiple projects, it may be worthwhile to have an energy audit conducted on the entire building. 
Energy audits can be conducted by professional energy auditors, energy service companies (ESCOs), engineering firms, or your installer.  For example, if you are just installing a new HVAC system, your installer (or those providing you with bids) may be able to provide you with the information needed to complete the application.  If not, you may want to seek an audit from a third-party.

Question 18:  Can EECBG funding be used with other ARRA funding?
Answer:  Yes, but it is important to keep the account separate.

Question 19:  If you receive an award in one area, will you be taken out of the running for the other two areas?
Answer:  No, OED will award the money to the best application in each Area.

Question 20:  For Area 1 (Traffic Lights) what all are the eligible costs?
Answer:  Just the LED Bulb

Question 21:  Is duct work eligible expense under Area 3?
Answer:  Yes as long as it was done in conjunction with HVAC upgrade.  Duct work alone is not an eligible expense.

Question 22:  Are projects at Waste Water Treatment plants eligible?
Answer:  Yes as long as the applicant is the city/town and the project fits within area 2 or 3.

Question 23:  Can we submit applications for custom projects?
Answer:  No.  Only the projects specifically listed in area 1, 2 and 3 are eligible.

Question 24:  Are doors an eligible project under area 3?
Answer:  Yes as long as it is an exterior door.  This excludes garage doors and interior doors.

Question 25:  If you receive an award for area 2 or 3 this time, could you re-apply if there are subsequent rounds?
Answer:  TBD


Return to EECBG page

BioFuels Pump Locator