1948 – 1981
1 mss box
Manuscripts & Rare Books Division
Indiana State Library
Processed by: Amy L. Baskette, 1999
Josephine Bicket was a native of Indianapolis, Marion County, Indiana. She married Andrew B. Bicket and had one daughter. Bicket attended Arsenal Technical High School, University of Alabama, and enrolled in extension courses at Purdue and Indiana Universities. She was a member of the Marion County Council from 1954 to 1961, becoming the first woman to serve as its president. She worked in the Indiana Office of Civil Defense, the personnel office for the State Department of Natural Resources, and in 1965 moved to the position of Circulation and Promotion Manager for Outdoor Indiana magazine.
Information found within the collection.
Scope and Content Note:
The collection contains papers, letters, invitations, announcements, and newspaper clippings about the Democratic Party in Indianapolis. Some material was collected by Josephine Bicket as part of her work with the “Office of Women’s Activities” in the Democratic Party.
Manuscript materials CANNOT be photocopied or digitized in their entirety. Photocopies and/or digital images cannot exceed 25% of a collection or a folder within a collection. In some cases, photocopying may not be permitted due to the condition of the item. Check with a Manuscript Librarian for other options.
Box and Folder Listing:
1. Resume of Josephine Karle Bicket
2. Correspondence, 1958 and January 1959 – February 1959
3. Correspondence, March 1959 – June 1959
4. Correspondence, July 1959 – October 1959
5. Correspondence, November and December 1959, 1981 (1 letter) and no date
6. Newspaper Clippings Related to the Elections and Democratic Party, 1957 – 1959
7. Assorted Papers Relating to the “Office of Women’s Activities, Democratic Party,” 1957 – 1959
8. Invitations, Announcements, and Programs for Democracy Party Functions, 1948 – 1959
9. Assorted Papers and Pamphlets, no date
Size of Collection: 1 mss box, 9 folders
Collection Dates: 1948 – 1981
Provenance: Carol Hann April 17, 1986
Access : The collection is open for research use
Reproduction Rights: Permission to reproduce, exhibit, or publish material in this collection must be obtained from the Manuscripts and Rare Books Division, Indiana State Library.
Language: Materials are entirely in English
Alternate Formats: None
Related Holdings: None