Services for State Agencies and Public Libraries
ISL Preservation is committed to assisting and advising State Agencies and Public Libraries with preservation-related questions, concerns, and issues. We are available to assist with disaster response as well as providing consultations and limited treatment on a cost-of-materials basis for state agencies. We are also in the process of developing some hands-on workshops to teach basic preservation skills for LEU credits, and we welcome suggestions from the State community for potential workshops or webinars.
- Earn Preservation LEUs
- Preservation Resources (Conservators in private practice, appraisers, archival suppliers, and disaster recovery and remediation professionals in Indiana)
- Contact ISL Preservation
Preservation LEUs - Acquire New Preservation Knowledge and Skills!
Even a basic understanding of the preservation-related concerns and issues that can occur in libraries is highly beneficial to every librarian and archivist. There are many free webinars and online courses that can teach you how to keep your collection in good condition through preventive care policies to ensure volumes can circulate year after year, protect those rare or unique items that are important to your local history, and when you should contact a conservator for advice or treatment assistance.
There are archived, as well as upcoming webinars and workshops available through the online community, Connecting to Collections in cooperation with the American Association for State and Local History and with funding from the Institute of Museum and Library Services.
Archived and upcoming topics of interest include (but are not limited to!):
- Mold! – How to prevent it, identify it, and when to seek conservation advice and treatment
- Collections care, handling, and storage
- Funding for preservation-related projects
- Disaster Planning – No institution is too small for a disaster plan!
- ISL Disaster Plan Blog Articles - Read more about why libraries need collections disaster plans and see an example of the ISL Disaster Plan.
Check out the links above to the archived and upcoming topics for more options on all these subjects!
Contact ISL Professional Development Office
For questions about the availability and eligibility of preservation related webinars, online courses, or workshops for LEUs, please contact:
Professional Development Office
Indiana State Library
CO RS 12-01-2016