Verified Motion for Continuance

Step 1: Who should use this packet

You should use this form packet if:

  1. You have filed a Court action against someone or someone has filed a Court action against you;
  2. A hearing has been scheduled in this action; and
  3. You need more time to either prepare for the hearing, obtain an attorney, or cannot be in Court for the hearing.

Step 2: Choose a Form Packet

Forms are available in two formats: (1) electronic fillable, and (2) printable.  If you prefer to type your answers on the computer in an easy-to-use questionnaire and then print completed forms, choose the electronic fillable packet.  When you answer the questions, the forms will be filled in automatically.  If you prefer to complete the forms by hand following printed instructions, choose the printable packet.

Once the packet is completed, you must print the forms, sign the forms, make copies, and take them to the Clerk of the Court.  Review your local court rules to find out how many copies you will need, and any additional forms or procedures required in your county.

Step 3: File your Completed Forms

  • Take the originals and copies of your forms to the Clerk of the Court that issued the current custody and parenting time order.
    • The Clerk will stamp the forms with a filing date and give you back a copy.
  • Mail one stamped copy of each form that you filed to the other parent’s attorney, or the other parent if he or she is not represented by an attorney.
  • Leave two stamped envelopes, one with your address and one with the other parent’s address.


  • Filing these forms does not automatically give you a continuance. Also, even if your motion is granted, you may not get the time you requested.
  • You are encouraged to file these forms as soon as possible. The time requirement for filing will depend on your Court's local rules. Check the rules or call the Court to check on this.