Application Instructions for the Court of Appeals
Deadline – 12:00 PM, April 2, 2018
The application for the Summer 2018 vacancy on the Court of Appeals of Indiana includes two parts. Both parts must be completed in entirety with the appropriate documentation attached and submitted through the Indiana Courts Portal. Eight complete hard-copy applications also must be submitted to the Nominating Commission’s office. Please direct any questions about the application process to Adrienne Meiring, Counsel to the Commission, at 317-232-4706 or email@example.com.
To be eligible for nomination to the Court of Appeals of Indiana, Third District, by the Governor, an applicant must be a U.S. citizen, domiciled in the Third District (Allen, Benton, DeKalb, Elkhart, Fulton, Jasper, Kosciusko, LaGrange, Lake, LaPorte, Marshall, Newton, Noble, Porter, Pulaski, St. Joseph, Starke, Steuben, Warren or Whitley counties), and have been a member of the Indiana Bar for at least ten years or served as a judge of an Indiana Circuit, Superior, or Criminal Court for at least five years. Ind. Const., Art. 7 §10.
The application consists of the following:
- Part One, Sections 1 – 11
- Part Two, Sections 1 – 3
- Educational Transcripts
- Writing Samples
- State Police Release Form
- Letters of Recommendation
Directions for Electronic Copy
The application is designed for you to complete Parts One and Two in Microsoft Word, the application must then be saved in Portable Document Format (PDF). Reproduce the sections in each part verbatim, setting out each question and category with your answers, including the Waiver and Statement of Consent.
Candidates must provide the Nominating Commission with an electronic version of the application in PDF format through the Indiana Courts Portal using the “Upload a document” feature. If you are not sure how to sign in, see the help topic on signing in or creating an account. Please sign into the portal well in advance of submitting your application in case you need assistance with your login or password. Do not wait until the final submission day to sign into the portal.
- Answers to Part One must be provided in a PDF document with the file name “[Applicant’s Last Name]PartOne” (e.g. JonesPartOne).
- Answers to Part Two as well as exhibits, transcripts, writing samples, and other attachments must be provided in a single PDF document attachment with the file name “[Applicant’s Last Name]PartTwo” (e.g. JonesPartTwo).
Candidates may submit a digital photograph with a property of 300 dpi or larger with the electronic application. The photograph is a public record and may be displayed on the Indiana Supreme Court’s website or provided to media upon request. It must be titled “[Applicant’s Last Name]Photo” (e.g. JonesPhoto) and should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Directions for Hard Copies
- Candidates must retain a complete application for their own records.
- Candidates must provide the Nominating Commission with 8 hard-copy applications (the original and 7 copies).
- Unless otherwise noted, all 8 hard-copy applications must be complete with all exhibits, transcripts, writing samples, and photographs.
- The hard-copy applications must be supplied in a three-ring binder. (Coil, comb, book, strip, etc. binding is not allowed.)
- An Indiana State Police release form on green paper must be included with the original application. It should not be included with the 7 copies. The release form requires the applicant’s social security number and that will remain confidential. Contact the Nominating Commission Office at 317-232-4706 or email@example.com for the release form.
- Include a certified transcript from each school listed in Part One, Sections 2 and 3 with the original application.
- Include copies of each transcript with the other 7 application copies. If your social security number is on your transcripts, you must redact it before copying.
- Include copies of 4 selected writing materials from Part One, Section 6.
- Candidates must include a recent color photograph with each application copy. (This allows the Commission members to put a face with a name if a candidate is interviewed in person).
The deadline for the 8 completed hard-copy applications is 12:00 p.m. on April 2, 2018. Applications must be delivered to the Commission’s Office at 251 N. Illinois Street, Suite 1600, Indianapolis, Indiana 46204. Please retain proof of delivery. The electronic copy of the application should be submitted through the Indiana Courts Portal by 1:00 p.m. on April 2, 2018.
Upon the Commission’s receipt of 8 complete applications and an electronic copy, the candidate’s name will be made public. I.C. § 33-27-3-2(d).
The Nominating Commission will conduct public interviews in Indianapolis on a date to be determined in the future. The Commission may conduct two rounds of public interviews. Upon the conclusion of interviews, the Nominating Commission will deliberate in executive session, then vote in a public session to nominate to the Governor the three most highly qualified candidates. I.C. § 33-27-3-2.
Candidates must be available on the interview dates, including evening hours.
After the Commission has evaluated each application and determines whether to interview all or some of the applicants, the applications of the candidates to be interviewed become public records and may be posted on the Indiana Supreme Court’s website. I.C. § 33-27-3-2(d)(1).
Letters of Recommendation
The Nominating Commission will consider on behalf of each applicant a reasonable number of letters of recommendation.
- Letters of recommendation may be sent to the Nominating Commission’s Office via email at firstname.lastname@example.org and will be forwarded to each Commission member. (Judges and other judicial officers are not prohibited under the Code of Judicial Conduct from writing on behalf of candidates on the basis of personal knowledge of the candidates’ qualifications.)
- Letters sent to individual Commission members will be distributed to all other members.
- Letters of recommendation must be received one week prior to the first round of interviews (Please note that a complete copy of all letters of recommendation received on a candidate’s behalf will be provided to the candidate prior to the final interviews.)